[4]

What do you call ?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jwmay

Registered
Registered
I’m looking for a set of wrenches that I used to have a set of, but have slowly been misplaced over the years. They are box end on both ends, and different sizes. So there’s a 5/16 and 3/8 on one wrench, and a 1/2-9/16 on another. I tried “combination wrench”, but that’s not right. Anybody know what they call these wrenches?

jcp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have heard them referred to as "double box end wrenches"

jwmay

Registered
Registered
Thank you, that got it!

benmychree

John York
A combination wrench has a box wrench on one end and an open end wrench on the other end

jwmay

Registered
Registered
I thought so, but being at a loss for the proper search term, I’d hoped it would get me close. I’ve also got some that are open in one size on one end, and box end of another size on the other end. Any ideas what to call those? Lol

benmychree

John York
Call it an alternative reality.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
This is from the 1966 Craftsman tool catalog. The called them "box-end" as opposed to "open-end" and "combination". CManWrenches1966.PNG

benmychree

John York
Seems pretty clear what is what, and who is who in the zoo.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Like these? The Snappies I use for automotive work though, 0° offset & extra long makes them awesome for working on cars. The single wrench I use exclusively for my mill, 3/4" on one end for my vise, rotary table, & super spacer, & 7/8" on the other end for my clamping set.

I've always called the ones with box end on both ends simply "box wrench". Open on both ends "open end wrench", of course open & box "combination wrenches". Although sometimes I refer to combo wrenches as open end when I'm asking someone to hand me one like if I'm under a car, "hey can you hand me a 17mm open end", the person I'm asking usually knows what I'm referring to even if they aren't very familiar with tools. Having worked in automotive for many years, which most of my hands tools are from, I don't even own an double end open end wrench.

Attachments

jwmay

Registered
Registered
So I guess I can just search box wrench or open end wrench set. I’ve searched the part numbers on these wrenches I posted, and that worked out. Thanks everyone!

pontiac428

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Often, a double open-end wrench is simply called an end wrench. Because a combo is a combo and a box is a box, so if you call for a half-nine sixteenths end wrench, it is implied that you want an open end or DE. Kind of like how a stubby is a stubby and a long is a long, so anything not specified is expected to be standard length.

[6]
[5] [7]