What do you make with your lathe and mill that's not tooling, a jig or fixture, but something that is useful to the average person?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My lovely wife has asked me what I need a lathe and a mill for. I originally bought them because I was teaching an engineering/shop class and wanted to have something at home so I could experiment and "play" while creating projects for my students. However, that program was shut down (don't get me started!).

Anyway, I was wondering what you all have made that that is useful for around the house with your machines? Have you fixed anything and saved money on repairs or the purchase of a replacement? Made anything for anyone that they needed/couldn't buy/didn't want to pay for?

So far, all I've made is mounting blocks for my DRO's, bushings for my grinder wheels and a machinist's V-block (and that was for an assignment in a class I was taking). We have a toilet paper roll holder that broke and I fixed it temporarily with a bolt, so that is on tap to make, but I thought I'd see what others made so the next time she asks me I have another answer besides them being for work if they ever bring back the program, or a hobby.

I used the lathe to make a plumbing adapter for the tub drain yesterday. One of those things that the only way it was going to happen was to make it. And I got it done before bath time too so wife was happy.

I made a compensator for kids 22 rifle and am working on a unicorn for daughter and a bomb proof tractor for the youngest.

Mostly I make chips and clothing stains.

I build a lot of bushings and spacers, race car stuff. The first project on my new lathe was hardwood lids for my wife's 1 gallon crocks that she uses for flour and sugar etc, that paid for the lathe and the mill.

All those tooling and fixture projects helped give me the skills necessary to make useful items later. Since my avocation is the restoration of old wood and metalworking equipment. I have made literally hundreds of parts, no longer available. I also make prototypes for some local businesses. Recently I have made quite a few accessories for my motorcycle. If I see something I want and I can't afford it, I make it.
Randy

I've made a lot of things over the years, from simple thinks like snow blower shear bolts to a tool to remove the door gasket retaining clip on a front load.washing machine. The only limiting factor is if I have the materials on hand.

Back