What do you make with your lathe and mill that's not tooling, a jig or fixture, but something that is useful to the average person?

cap.jpgcap1.jpg
Hook.jpgHook1.jpg
Lost the cap for my gas can. New one has that tight machinist fit.
Needed a way to hang my leaf blower.

Homebrewed….

Plus you have the added option of the faucet attached to boot!! :grin:

Door key was hard to pick up with my old fingers. Mikey told me once "it's not against the law here to deface Mexican money"Key.jpgKey1.jpg.

Here's some pictures of the gifts I've made (my father was a wood worker and made the clock).

These remind me that Bulgin has an entire (thin) book on this sort of thing, Puzzles and Peculiarities from the Machine Shop. I've had by eye on The Electromechanical Arts of Weston Bye as well, but it looks a bit too horological (horo-centric?) for me right now.

Please excuse my being off topic. But honestly don't average people use a surface gauge?

Problem was I have a vintage surface gauge that could not hold my Interapid indicator, because the hole is to small. I didn't want to modify it because well,
that's the wrong thing to do. So I made this.

Guage.jpgguage1.jpgguage2.jpg

Regarding my knife sharpening setup. If you look at the photo, you see two rods. One (the "mast") is bolted to the base, and has a delrin bracket that is fixed to it with a thumbscrew. The U shaped cutout in the bracket captures the second rod, which has a couple of blocks on one end. They hold the stone I'm using to sharpen the knife. In use, the second rod is dropped into the U cutout and the other end is passed back & forth over the knife. The bevel angle is set by the height of the bracket on the mast, relative to the knife edge. This makes it usable for different bevel angles (asian vs western). The handle is there to keep your fingers away from the knife while you're sharpening it. Simple trig is used to calculate the height of the mast-mounted holder for a given bevel angle.

One bit that is not shown very well is the knife holder. The photo below is better than a few paragraphs of description:

holder.JPG

The top part of the modified "L" extrusion captures the back of the knife. Unfortunately, the small block (and L) need to be flipped over to sharpen the other side of the knife. Well, this is the "Mark 1" version after all :rolleyes:. At some point I will make a symmetric version of the small holder. The main thing is to shape the top surface of the holder so the stone sharpens the knife, not the edge of the holder.

I make some tooling, but most of my shop time is spent repairing or making parts for other people. When I find time for my own projects we build things like this.
Snow blower for the mower.
IMG_4024.jpg

Firewood processor
_MG_0705.jpg

saw mill
IMGP0605.jpg

Model steam engine
IMG_4238.jpg

All the mechanical parts and paddle assemblies for a steam boat.
IMGP2170.jpg

A mule
_MG_8055.jpg

Having machines to make the parts for projects is an incredible gift.

Greg

Back