What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

I bought one of the cart mounted Skyhooks (see below) off CL a few years ago for $400. It was unused at a factory that had bought several, but decided they didn't need all that they had bought. New one lists for nearly $5000 nowadays. One of the best deals I ever found on CL.

I bought another one from CL with the dovetail for mounting directly to a tool post as well for cheap.

Attachments

• Skyhook_on_a_cart.jpg
    Skyhook_on_a_cart.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
congratulations ...you got a GREAT bargain!

Hi, I have to be honest, when I look at that set-up I cringe. Your point is well taken but I would make a fixture to mount that on the tailstock. Thank's.
I admit, the thought of mounting my crane to the tool post has always given me the heebie jeebies, so I've never done it. In fact, I've never used this crane in favor of my cart mounted crane.

I may eventually rig an adaptor to mount it to the bed of my lathe instead.

I admit, the thought of mounting my crane to the tool post has always given me the heebie jeebies, so I've never done it. In fact, I've never used this crane in favor of my cart mounted crane.

I may eventually rig an adaptor to mount it to the bed of my lathe instead.
I think that is a better place to mount it with isolation pads even off the back of the lathe stand.

Hi, I have to be honest, when I look at that set-up I cringe. Your point is well taken but I would make a fixture to mount that on the tailstock. Thank's.
You can buy one that’s bench mount.

Formula

Calculator for people like me.

They sell toolpost mount skyhooks to professional shops. Maybe their machines are more robust than ours but I have to assume if it’s rated for 500lbs and OSHA approved they’re confident of the use case.

Fortunately my chucks are all still easy for me to handle by hand. But, if I get to the point of needing something to help I wouldn’t be afraid of using my BXA toolpost with a product designed and engineered for the job.

I know we have members on here who use them, maybe they’ll chime in to let us know how they work in real life.

John

Back