What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

This covers pretty much most of it. I do have a hydralic lift table too, but I don't use it a lot. TLDR: Tractor, two post lift, engine hoist, and gantry. Also, I'm stupid and will lift heavier stuff than I should just because it's faster.
View attachment 429861
I've been looking at these. How is it? Are you happy with it?

I use a toe jack (fabricobbled together from a Harbor Freight bottle jack and some 3/8" plate, I have a skycrane for lifting somewhat heavy items (500lbs).. Burk Bar... Of course the old faithful Harbor Freight engine hoist everyone has had in their garage taking up space for 2+ decades..

-Art

Just a comment. I have an 8" indexing super spacer which nearly always has an 8" 3 jaw chuck installed. It lives on a cart near the mill. It is flat out too heavy for me to lift, so I normally pull the 3 SHCS and remove the chuck. Then I can lift the indexer onto the mill table. Then I reinstall the chuck.

I built a 1 ton gantry for my shop driveway. I have a Jet 600 lb hydraulic lift cart. I don't do import engine hoists any more. I have a 2 ton Ruger shop crane with 2-speed hydraulics and straddle legs. This crane was sold to the US Navy in 1988. I recently completely restored it including rebuilding the hydraulics. See:

nearlyDone.jpg

I have a sort of rolling overhead hoist which didn't do what I wanted but which can hold a hook for a chain comealong. I sometimes use it for lifting things on or off my welding table.

Also, I have a variety of portapower accessories with which I can lift one side of a machine a little and then stick something under it. It's the Easter Island approach.

In the end, being a home shop rigger is about methodical common sense.

metalmagpie

Just a comment. I have an 8" indexing super spacer which nearly always has an 8" 3 jaw chuck installed. It lives on a cart near the mill. It is flat out too heavy for me to lift, so I normally pull the 3 SHCS and remove the chuck. Then I can lift the indexer onto the mill table. Then I reinstall the chuck.

I built a 1 ton gantry for my shop driveway. I have a Jet 600 lb hydraulic lift cart. I don't do import engine hoists any more. I have a 2 ton Ruger shop crane with 2-speed hydraulics and straddle legs. This crane was sold to the US Navy in 1988. I recently completely restored it including rebuilding the hydraulics. See:

nearlyDone.jpg

I have a sort of rolling overhead hoist which didn't do what I wanted but which can hold a hook for a chain comealong. I sometimes use it for lifting things on or off my welding table.

Also, I have a variety of portapower accessories with which I can lift one side of a machine a little and then stick something under it. It's the Easter Island approach.

In the end, being a home shop rigger is about methodical common sense.

metalmagpie
Nice restoration on American iron. 2 stage pump is also nice to have.

ABOM79 (On YouTube), Adam Booth has a small hoist/crane he uses for lifting tools such as large chucks and heavy work pieces, it easily attaches to his machine. I am seriously looking into one of these. I have a 2T hoist for heavy stuff like my mill and lathe https://skyhook.cc/economy-tool-post-mount-sky-hooks.html
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think you are referring to his Skyhook. Pricey, but convenient.
Yes, 1200 bucks +/- but I am not getting any younger and my back is worth it..... it looks to be awesome in small spaces as well.

Back