What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

Cherry picker (engine hoist) for big stuff.

My assorted attachments and accessories are all "hobby sized" (ie: relatively small; 5" rotary table, 5" milling vice, etc.) so I'm still able to move them around without assistance.

For things like the dividing head and rotary table I is a die cart that has a hyd. jack to raise the table level to the mill bed. Bigger items the forklift is a back saver.

This covers pretty much most of it. I do have a hydralic lift table too, but I don't use it a lot. TLDR: Tractor, two post lift, engine hoist, and gantry. Also, I'm stupid and will lift heavier stuff than I should just because it's faster.
anti-gravities.jpg

I use the backhoe for the bigger stuff. Have a 2T engine hoist I've used a few times. Later this winter will be building two jib cranes that will reach everything in the welding, and machine shops. And like mister Hanson, I use my car lift as an adjustable height work table when needed. Mike

The only thing I have that fits in the 2-C-note category is an engine hoist. A chain hoist is cheap enough, but it has to attach to something. For the intended purpose, that something has to be able to move, so there needs to be an overhead track, gantry, bridge crane, or jib crane. And that will make it more than a coupla hundred bucks, by far.

I have used the bucket on my tractor to move things, but it's ungainly for things I want to move in and around my lathe. I was the only thing I had for moving the concrete counter top I put on my main bench.

IMG_8798-dsqz.JPG

Rick "pondering a beam on the ceiling for a trolley and chain fall" Denney

Last edited:
I would like to get one of these some day. My engine hoist is difficult to maneuver and the legs stick out so far that it is not easy to get it close to the machines. This is probably way over your budget, but there might be something similar at a better price.

Back