What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

Thanks guys! I don't quite have enough room for a nice tractor or a gantry in my basement shop, but those would be great to have!

I did a little more research and watched some videos this afternoon and I think I've decided to go with the electric hoist with a roller trolley in unistrut attached to the ceiling. I'll have to do some more calculating / measuring, but I am also considering making a small jib crane for the electric hoist.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We have a lift limit of 50 lbs. at work ............................there's not a day in the week we're not lifting over 100 lbs .
Be careful Dave!
We all want you to enjoy your eventual retirement.
Brian

I did a little more research and watched some videos this afternoon and I think I've decided to go with the electric hoist with a roller trolley in unistrut attached to the ceiling. I'll have to do some more calculating / measuring, but I am also considering making a small jib crane for the electric hoist.

Please post back with pictures of your solution.
Brian

I built what I call a “chuck lifter” a while back. Maybe it has some possibilities for you or least an idea or two.

It can lift about 300 lbs. The big chuck being lifted in the pictures is about 190 lbs. It has enough reach to install this chuck on my American Pacemaker.

The elbow joint and rotating hub make it easy to have good control. I used a Harbor Freight 500 lb. come-along. It is fast and doesn’t take up much room.

In addition to the chucks, this cart holds tool holders for my multi-fix tool post and aloris tool post.

As a side note – I originally tried to make the knuckle joint with a bronze bushing. This proved to have too much friction, so I changed to needle bearings and a ball thrust bearing on top which made for almost no resistance.

IMG_0604.jpg IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0642.jpg

I built what I call a “chuck lifter” a while back. Maybe it has some possibilities for you or least an idea or two.

It can lift about 300 lbs. The big chuck being lifted in the pictures is about 190 lbs. It has enough reach to install this chuck on my American Pacemaker.

The elbow joint and rotating hub make it easy to have good control. I used a Harbor Freight 500 lb. come-along. It is fast and doesn’t take up much room.

In addition to the chucks, this cart holds tool holders for my multi-fix tool post and aloris tool post.

As a side note – I originally tried to make the knuckle joint with a bronze bushing. This proved to have too much friction, so I changed to needle bearings and a ball thrust bearing on top which made for almost no resistance.

View attachment 429912 View attachment 429913 View attachment 429914 View attachment 429915 View attachment 429916 View attachment 429917 View attachment 429918 View attachment 429919
That's very nice! How many chucks are on the cart? And how many lathes in your operation? From the pictures, I think I see two. Are there more?

Regards

Pictures of the pacemaker and how do the Rivett and 10ee compare? That would be a great thread. Dave

I would like to get one of these some day. My engine hoist is difficult to maneuver and the legs stick out so far that it is not easy to get it close to the machines. This is probably way over your budget, but there might be something similar at a better price.

Looks like a project….

@ 80 my ability to lift much has really gone down hill. I have a cabinet with most of my heavy accessories on a shelf at the level I can match the mill table to, not requiring any actual lifting just carrying. I made a wooden carrier, with handles & that fits the lathe bed so that the mounting studs fit the spindle w/o any additional lifting. It is for my 8" chuck with cast iron back plate. The rest of my chucks have integral mounting. 8" rotary table can be moved as long as I don't have anything mounted, like an 8" chuck! BS-1 indexing head is the same way as long as a chuck isn't installed. Even the 7 x 10 tilt table pushes my limit. My 6" Kurt vice is also pushing my limits. Things for the mill all have alignment blocks on the bottom that makes it more difficult to place them directly over the center Tee slot. All of these things require some reach out to place them. All are just in the 40 to 50# range. Hell to get old!

I use an HF hydraulic lift table. I store my heavy accessories on it (large chucks, rotab, etc). I can wheel it over to the mill, raise the HF table, lower the mill table, and slide stuff across. At the lathe I use a "chuckmate" to swing the chuck into place. Hmmm, I don't see the chuckmate in a quick search - they might not be around anymore. A picture is warranted, I will follow up...

Looks like a project….
I’ve been eyeing up my engine hoist to see if I can remove the current base and make a counterbalanced base so that I can get close to the machines. Nothing I have is very heavy, so all I would need is a couple hundred pound capacity and good maneuverability.

Back