What do you use for lifting heavy objects?

When I converted the HF press to an air/hydraulic cylinder, I made a toe jack out of the old cylinder. This is really handy at times for either getting started with cribbing, to insert a roller bar, put in a shim, etc.

There's so little room in the shop now
I sort of suffer the same issue, but I also made a mistake when first laying out my work area. I didn't plan for as much "stuff" as I have accumulated. Both machines and tooling (and stuff of dubious value.) The original layout was to keep everything within arms reach & machines near existing 3 phase power outlets. I've only added one major machine, a nice industrial cold saw. But it requires enough room for the material to stick out both sides & 3 phase. What had been my original work bench is now covered with sharpening and grinding stuff. I've added 2 roll around tooling cabinets & a large electrical cabinet converted in to an enclosed shelving unit to keep stuff clean. I have access to a 5K# forklift but it can't reach the face of my lathe (2700#s) or mill now.

If this was a production shop I' d move everything to make it more efficient. But it's not. Live & learn.

Tailstock, I found your thread on PM about the P and W and even found where I commented. I'm getting old. Fun rereading the thread. Saw the Moore too and will have to look for the rubberized vinyl you used for the covers. Forgot that too.

Off for an Alzeimers test. Dave

I used this to do a scrape job job.
It worked very well but takes up alot of space.View attachment 430036
We had a couple of those at a power plant I worked at. I believe they were called “Blue Goose”. I thought those were far superior to the standard Chinese engine hoists in terms of construction and weight.

Tailstock, I found your thread on PM about the P and W and even found where I commented. I'm getting old. Fun rereading the thread. Saw the Moore too and will have to look for the rubberized vinyl you used for the covers. Forgot that too.

Off for an Alzeimers test. Dave
I learned a few things from doing that post. One, I would have expanded on parts of the restoration that I didn’t have pictures for. And two, I would have given more time between postings to give people a little more time to interact.

While I’m not new to machining, I am new to posting. This was my first attempt at a technical thread that was this long. As they say, we learn more from our mistakes than our successes. Hopefully that’s true when it comes to posting.

Back