What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

I started watching the videos by Lars Christensen. He does a very good job of presenting Fusion in an easy to follow way. He has live sessions for instant feedback and he answers your questions about his You Tube videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo29kn3d9ziFUZGZ50VKvWA
I can't click "like" often enough for this one. There are several Fusion 360 channels on youtube, but Lars is the best. In addition, his youtube videos are actually recordings he does of LIVE facebook streams where he takes questions from viewers as he lectures. Good stuff.

Being slightly older than dirt I use a Mayline drafting board and Mutoh drafting machine. The table is huge at 48" x 72". It was used in our engineering department until the late 1980's when we switched to CAD. I bought the table, drafting machine, and return desk for $50.00. At the time they were still in the Mayline catalog for over $3,700.00. Needless to say I don't think they sold many.

Since it was one of the last tables to leave the department I was given a lifetime supply of mechanical pencils, drawing tools, scales, drawing paper, and just about anything else you can think of that relates to manual drafting.

I do have an ancient copy of AutoCAD, but have never bother to download it to my last 2 computers. When my desktop model was replaced with a laptop I just "went back to the drawing board".

Fusion 360 - my go to now. Lots of great videos out there to tutor a newbie and get you started.

As mentioned already here and elsewhere on the board, Lars is great teacher. He also has another cohort, a gent named Tyler Beck, that is also very good,

I always have used Mastercam exclusively because that's what they used in school and college and it's all I know how to use effectively.

Being slightly older than dirt I use a Mayline drafting board and Mutoh drafting machine. The table is huge at 48" x 72". It was used in our engineering department until the late 1980's when we switched to CAD. I bought the table, drafting machine, and return desk for $50.00. At the time they were still in the Mayline catalog for over $3,700.00. Needless to say I don't think they sold many.

Since it was one of the last tables to leave the department I was given a lifetime supply of mechanical pencils, drawing tools, scales, drawing paper, and just about anything else you can think of that relates to manual drafting.

I do have an ancient copy of AutoCAD, but have never bother to download it to my last 2 computers. When my desktop model was replaced with a laptop I just "went back to the drawing board".
I got you beat on the drafting machine; mine is a Universal Drafting Machine, I think it was the first practical drafting machine and came out in the early 1900s; it has parallel link bars with adjustable ball bearing joints, the angular scale is german silver. I bought it from a local guy who got it at Mare Island Navy Yard after having worked there during WW-2; I built a table to install it on and did a lot of drawing at one time; now it is just a horizontal surface for gathering whatever I don't want to put on the floor.

Please be specific....

Sometimes I use pencil and paper. Fabrication and manual machining jobs are often done this way. If its a part I may make more of I'll go back and list steps and tools. The stainless steel bolt catch pens I made for Christmas were done this way.

For CNC machining I usually use ViaCAD 2d/3d Pro V9 64 bit. I started with V6, and have not yet seen the need to upgrade to V10. Sometimes I do 2D work in CamBam. I've also been using Fusion360 lately, but I've found the 3D modeling in it to be confusing. I do some basic 2D (very basic) in Fusion as supplemental to 3D models I have imported from ViaCad.

Qcad-cam, Freecad, Cam Bam for code, and sketchpad (paper)
2D I feel or confident in but occasionally I'll try 3D
Wish they had Sketchup (free) in Linux. Other then Catia its the only one I've spent time on.

Jim

Turbocad 20, graph paper & pencils and big eraser. Know enough about Turbocad to really mess up.
Have a good day
Ray

Back