What does a brand new machinist need?

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
My 30 year old son in law finally realized that his degree in English Literature wasn't a ticket to a sparkling career path and switched gears; he's now in a machinist training program; should finish up this Spring. It amazes him that he can now actually talk shop with me. I'm not a professional machinist by trade, I'm an engineer, but I have the pleasure of working with some real pros. Anyway, instead of the usual stupid stupid stuff we usually get him for birthdays/Christmas, I'd like to get him some tools for his new career. I know what kind of stuff I have and use in my own shop, an assortment of stuff picked up over the years as necessary or opportunity presents, but what is a new machinist on his first real job expected to bring with him? He has no real background working with his hands, my daughter brought more hand tools to the marriage than he did. Hopefully he takes to it; there's a huge shortage of qualified machinists and toolmakers here in CT.

I'm thinking basic stuff like calipers and micrometers, but I'm open to other suggestions. I always lean to good quality older (used) stuff rather than cheaper new stuff myself.

I use digital Calipers, but I'd recommend dial, no batteries to die. Perhaps, a couple of them. Qualitiy 6 and 12" scales, I ferget what the grades are but they should have fractions on one side and hundredths on the other. Yea, mikes are neceeary, but until he knows what the needs, don't get a 'set', maybe one and two inch to start with.

How about a small Kennedy box, too, to keep the tools in. Gerstner boxes are nice but foolish expensive.

I'd 2nd the small to med sized tool box. & the Capliers.

It all depends on where he ends up working what he will need to supply for himself,
having a place to put those things is a great start.

Hopefully he takes to it; there's a huge shortage of qualified machinists and toolmakers here in CT.

There is a huge shortage everywhere . I can't hire a journeyman machinist down here .

As far as basic tools . I'm sure you'll get a great list . Look back a few days , there should be a thread covering needed tools .

Last edited:
You need to have motivation and a strong desire to learn.

Yes you do , and you'll never stop learning .

If I could find a reasonable size flat surface in my place I will lay out a beginning machinist set of tools . Going back to my apprentice days , they would be what was expected of you to provide walking in the door . Some companies will supply employees with most expensive tools , so I wouldn't go overboard until he finds out where he ends up . A machinist / toolmaker needs a whole different tool set than a cnc production operator .

Quality 1" micrometer. A quality 6" scale. A digital caliper (the H.F. ones are fine). 3 machinist aprons. A 6" single cut file. A triangular edge scraper. An eye loupe. a quality small tape measure. A grease pencil. A cheap pocket calculator. A small used Gerstner if you can find one would be nice.
The list may sound goofy but these are some of the things, mostly inexpensive, that a busy machinist uses every day to make his life easier......Bob

Quality 1" micrometer. A quality 6" scale. A digital caliper (the H.F. ones are fine). 3 machinist aprons. A 6" single cut file. A triangular edge scraper. An eye loupe. a quality small tape measure. A grease pencil. A cheap pocket calculator. A small used Gerstner if you can find one would be nice.
The list may sound goofy but these are some of the things, mostly inexpensive, that a busy machinist uses every day to make his life easier......Bob
One can not know what sort of shop that they will be hired at for a first job after leaving school, they may land in a shop that only does large work.
Or a grinding shop, or a shop that will not allow you to use non company tools or a shop that requires SPC data output for every tool.

Pens, pencils, notepads, calculators with trig functions, a magnet, a vibratory scriber, a laptop computer, all of the small tools for measuring drills and endmills, V anvil micrometers are useful for measuring the large number of 3 flute round tooling that you will encounter in the real world, a drop indicator and a lever indicator if allowed to use your own tools, and lastly if one winds up in a general machine shop that buys water soluble coolant by the drum a rain coat is helpful.

Back