What does a brand new machinist need?

A nice set of 1-2-3 blocks, a couple v-blocks, Wiha hex keys (they are my favorite), a 12" and 24" machinist scale, a dead blow hammer and a brass hammer, safety glasses, a machinery's handbook...

And maybe medication of some type to deal with GAS.

:)

If he's been through a machinist program, it's likely he already has a pretty complete beginner set. At least at the college here, they have a list of tools that are required in order to take the class, and it's pretty exhaustive. They're also patriots I suppose, as you are not allowed to bring certain imported instruments for the class, as I recall. I think it has to be Starrett, or "approved by the instructor" prior. That's a little OT maybe.

Anyhow, unless he asks for something specific, or he mentions something in passing, your best best would be gift certificates to places he can buy the stuff he needs. Cause he probably won't know either, until he needs it. At least that seems to be my experience. But I'm not a professional machinist, so there's that to consider.

If he doesn't get it in school perhaps a Machinerys Handbook" and as mentioned, gift cards or cash to get what he needs as a "newby" at the job.
Have a good day
Ray

If he doesn't get it in school perhaps a Machinerys Handbook" and as mentioned, gift cards or cash to get what he needs as a "newby" at the job.
Have a good day
Ray
I suspect that no school in the year 2018 would have or give printed copies of MH for obvious reasons.

If you want to get him some books these are some of my favorite machining books...

Everyone knows about the Machinery's Handbook but I never see anyone with the American Machinists' Handbook I prefer this book it has some charts that the green book doesn't....
20190117_214347.jpg
These books are very nice...
20190117_214418.jpg

first a good lockable tool box. then a set of combination wrenches. o-1 and 1-2 mics. a dial test indicator and magnetic base. see what he can make for his self. I made all my parallels , 1-2-3 blocks

hit the flea markets and auctions. hint some times there are good tool buys at gun shows.

Back