What does everyone think of this Mill

I'm afraid that table damage is irreversible and will permanently take a lot of precision out of the original machine.
How so? the cut looks very shallow, it could be reground.

I suggest you just leave it as is - for a while. Get the machine cleaned up, fix the little things that need attention, service it and get it running. Find out what the issues are: some you can see, some only show up after you have used it for a while. The actual step in the table looks like it would be pretty easy to work around (sure, a bit of an annoyance - but most old machines will have some unique character, working with the issues is called "machining").

I find I use some sort of a table attachment about 75% of the time (vise, rotary table, dividing head - what ever), and so you can simply dial in your reference planes. You already know you'll need to add a shim. When task involves bolting directly to the table, you may be able to avoid the step, shim the component, use a sub plate, . . . . lots of options.

If everything is working out well for you, and you really enjoy the machine - then of course, fix the table surface. My advise is that you don't start with that, run it for a while first.

I have a friend with a large surface grinder. It’s about .005-.010 deep.

If your friend will grind it flat for free or cheaply, do it now, while you can, rather than fighting a bad table surface.

On the vise, the bigger the better, within the limits of table movement clearance.

If your friend will grind it flat for free or cheaply, do it now, while you can, rather than fighting a bad table surface.

On the vise, the bigger the better, within the limits of table movement clearance.
Already making arrangements to grind the top.

A little update. Got the mill inside finally this morning. I have been taking parts off and cleaning them up. Turns out my friend cant grind the table. I got a quote from a local shop that does a lot of grinding. $250 to have it ground.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the ill effects of grinding the table without scrapping in the ways. I guess do to the wear in the machine and keeping everything square. I still think I may have them take .015 off. The rest of the machine is cleaning up nicely. The table so fare is the only disappointment.

The planetary gears used for the back gears are in pristine condition. I'll get some more pics up soon. Cheers

Back