[4]

What Hand Cleaner?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

HBilly1022

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
What hand cleaner do you use? I'm using GOJO Natural Orange but find it doesn't do a very good job (at least not using cold water, which is all I have in the shop). I have to wash my hands with soap after using the GOJO in order to get them clean. I end up washing my hands quite often during the day because they get so dirty from handling the raw materials, using the machines and cleaning up.

RandyWilson

I've been in automotive for, errr, a few years; tried most all of them. Zep Cherry here and at home. I find GoJo equivalent to trying to wash in used 90W gear oil.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Recently after many years of not using Goop I am now using it again. I have to tell you that the government has not been kind to this industry, as this product isn't as good as I use to remember. It does loosen the grim but, in order to fully clean yourself off you have to use soap and water to remove the product from your hands, twice. It works but, not as well as I remember before the ingredient change. There is still nothing like good soap, warm water, and a nail brush to clean your hands thoroughly. I am allergic to anything with fragrance in it and have to be careful of the products I use. I can not use the orange GoJo (fragrance), I will be itching for weeks.

fradish

Registered
I really like Permatex's hand cleaner. You can get it on Amazon and at least my local
Tractor Supply carries it. One thing I like about it over one of the GoJo orange cleaners
I've tried is that there is no grit in it. I've never been crazy about washing that grit down
the drain...

dlane

Active User
Dawn dishwashing soap, the blue stuff, saves wildlife,
Best I've found for oil, dirt, grease,
:)

Redmech

Registered
Registered
On my service truck where I normally don't have water, I like Joe's handcleaner with no pumice. At home, with running water, I like stuff with pumice. And a nail brush is a must. Hydraulic oil works wonders to get the grit out of the creases in the skin, but then you have to wash the hydraulic oil off, but that's not much of an issue.

Tozguy

Active User
Dawn dish soap... but only need a quick wash up after taking my blue nitrile gloves off.
I swear it seems like a box of gloves costs less than hand cleaner and it is much easier to clean up the sink after.

Last edited:

Waterlooboy2hp

Registered
You will know I am Old School, when I say that I have been using the same brand of hand cleaner for 67+ years. "Boraxo" Powered Hand Soap. ---- John

Tozguy

Active User
You will know I am Old School, when I say that I have been using the same brand of hand cleaner for 67+ years. "Boraxo" Powered Hand Soap. ---- John
Is that like Comet powdered cleaner? I had forgotten about that stuff, it worked like gang busters.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
GoJo has always worked for me since the early 1960's. I use the pumice with lanolin variety. The plain old GoJo from years ago was great for use without water. Most likely the formula has changed though. When I know I'm gonna get really dirty I use a product called Invisible Glove. It used to be Dupont protect in the 60's. Nothing sticks to your skin with that applied. Just washes off with water or GoJo. My dad had some detectives (his friends) try to get his finger prints with that stuff on his hands. They couldn't get fingerprints from anything he touched. Probably why Dupont took their version off the market.

Roy

WesPete66

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I've been using good ole Lava bar soap lately, works great! But then I have to use the wife's perfumee stuff to get the Lava smell off. It's warm enough now to put a bottle of something liquid back out in the shop now.

Tozguy

Active User

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)

Mach89

Registered
Registered
Dawn dish soap or fast orange. The only two I use at home.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
call me old school , but i use a combination of Borax with Dawn dish soap drizzled on top

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I used to use a protective hand cream called "invisible glove" before starting my day or touching the dirty greasy stuff, I'm not sure if the formula has changed over the years but at the time there was nothing like it , all the grime and black grease just washes away with warm water and soap.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-5215-Invisible-Protective/dp/B000BPEPA0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492111006&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=nvisible+Glove+Protective+Hand+Coating&th=1
I used to use it too. It was good.
Now I use fast orange w/pumice by permatex. The pumice really helps

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
Tide laundry detergent powder.

Tom

StepSide 88

Registered
Registered
Dawn dishwashing soap, the blue stuff, saves wildlife,
Best I've found for oil, dirt, grease,
:)
My go to now is 1 part Dawn 3-4 parts Dr. Bronners 5 parts water.
I was using dilute Dr.B on dry hands then adding a drop of dawn to cut the hard stuff but this is easier.
On a side note I'm testing it as a short term metal prep/storing spray for keeping flash rust at bay after rinsing electrolyte solution off.

billd

Registered
A friend just put me onto a very good hand cleaner that isn't a hand cleaner at all but works really well! I keep a tube of cheap hand cream in the shop, big squirt, rub in and wipe off dirt and excess hand cream on a paper towel. Look for a hand cream with lanolin. Give it a try, I'll never use hand cleaner again.

dlane

Active User
rub in hand lotion before getting greesey , hands clean up much easier

kvt

Active User
Have used many diff ones, still looking on something that will not be as bad, My hands dry, split, crack and bleed, thus need something to take the grime off without being to harsh. So far have not found much, I go through a lot of HF nitirl gloves trying to keep most of the stuff off my hands. My hands are so bad that the Gov cannot even get good finger prints when they try to take them for my work. Real pain.

BFHammer

fast orange with pumice followed by a warm water and lava soap

whitmore

Registered
Regular unscented no-pumice GoJo, with a hand brush, to start.
Wet washrag, with a squirt of liquid soap, to get the GoJo off.

The hand brush and washrag look terrible, but work great.

Rinse and finish up with a hand lotion containing glycerine (so
the hands don't start itching an hour later...).
Better, if I think about it, to just put on some disposable gloves.
I keep a couple of pairs of those, in baggies, in my auto toolkit.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
A side benefit of regular GoJo is cleaning dirty test leads and rubber handles. It makes them like new. I used to use it for cleaning battery cables when I was doing Corvette rebuilds.
I must use a lanolin hand cream on my hands, otherwise my hands crack and bleed. A really heavy duty hand cream is Hydrophor Ointment. My local pharmacy carries it and so do Amazon and other online stores. It seems to be like Vaseline but it dries down after rubbing for a while and allows moisture in.

Roy

Cheeseking

Active User
Registered
Half dollar puddle of clean motor oil in your palm. Massage all the grease and dirt follow with a clean shop rag then wash up with regular soap and water. Beats all them fancy cleaners hands down.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Stoko kresto 2000.
IMG_0782.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

HBilly1022

Wow, lots of choices. Might take a while to go through them all to see which is the best ....... or maybe just try a few. I have used some gel hand cleaner that Canadian Tire sells under their name and really like it but it only comes in small containers that don't last long. The product does a very good job of cleaning grease and grime plus leaves your hands feeling like they got moisturized. Maybe I'll give that a go again or next time I hit home depot I'll get the Cherry Zep.

I think warm water would go along way to helping clean up but it's not available in my shop and it's too far from the house to run a hot water line. Maybe time to install one of those on demand heaters.

gzoerner

Registered
I've been using Simple Green. Just spray it on my hands and the grease and grime comes right off. I follow it with regular hand soap.

[6]
[5] [7]