What Happened to Ingersol Rand

A funny thing,
I bought these through Grainger. I've been a loyal customer for quite some time.
I discovered McMaster Carr a couple years ago and have been sending more business to McMaster.
I contacted Grainger about the pump that was just out of warranty. They were kind enough to give me the customer service email for Ingersol Rand. Gee, I hope I didn't put them out.

I immediately contacted IR. I haven't even had a follow up email from them. You know, thanks for reaching out, we'll get to you soon!!
NOTHING.

Charlie, I hope you're right.
I maybe, but I would take the time to send IR Technical an email and describe what you are seeing. This way you have a paper trail that shows you have brought this to their attention should things go south later.

Also, make sure that you document the motor starter. They have a limited cycle life, they should provide a brand new unit that should have been in the unit to begin with. You should not accept them swapping the old one to make it work.

This email should go to Grainger, IR and if there is an independant service tech that did the start up. This way you can point to the fact that you have notified them and if they choose to do nothing it is on them.

I was lucky to find an Atlas Coppco compressor through the classifieds that was made around '68. Built like a tank. Weighs 500 lbs, for a 5HP 80 gal unit. Got it cheap because the large pulley was broken. Since it was made in Belgum, and that plant burnt down, there are no drawings for the custom taper that pulley mounts on. Just one more tweak before I fix it and use it for the rest of my life.

Yes it will be internally inspected with a camera and pressure tested. The internal surface will be recoated after that. I'll also be running it at 90 PSI instead of its rated 175 PSI, as it will have way more air than I need. --another vote for 'they don't make them the way they used to'...

I love old iron!

It never hurts to call and get on record for a possible warranty issue. If you're on record complaining about heat build up and it goes belly up a week past warranty... You do have a better chance of getting them to work with you.

That said, I personally think a new compressor will build up more heat because its new and will probably work better and run cooler once the rings seat and the machine breaks in. Just make sure you change the oil after the break in period if that's recommended .

OOPS,
I rechecked the Quick Start Manual-Preliminary Installed Stationary Reciprocating Air Compressors-
There is nothing in there about a break in period.
I went online to find best practices.
It is suggested to run it for 30 minutes with the service valve open to seat the rings.
We'll do it Monday morning, couldn't hurt.
Why isn't it in the start up guide?
!@#$%^&*()!!grr

A funny thing,
I bought these through Grainger. I've been a loyal customer for quite some time.
I discovered McMaster Carr a couple years ago and have been sending more business to McMaster.
I contacted Grainger about the pump that was just out of warranty. They were kind enough to give me the customer service email for Ingersol Rand. Gee, I hope I didn't put them out.

I immediately contacted IR. I haven't even had a follow up email from them. You know, thanks for reaching out, we'll get to you soon!!
NOTHING.

Charlie, I hope you're right.
Still good.

Via phone book or web page, look up your local service center.

Many better dealers are authorized warranty providors so they respond and bill manufacturer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ingersoll Rand used to make industrial quality compressors and air tools. Now they seem more focused on mass market consumer goods.

Years ago… even automobiles had a special low viscosity oil for break in periods. The manuals went into specific instructions on how to drive the vehicles for the first 500 miles.
After that 500 mile period… one had to change the oil to the specific grade of oil for the region they lived. In the south, it was straight 30 weight oil.
But, now oils and lubricants are so much superior than just 30 years ago. Plus manufacturing is so superior too. The results are that it’s nothing for a 4-cylinder engine in an economy car to run for 300,000 miles with just minimal maintenance. Change the oil a couple of times a year and don’t let it overheat… and you are good to go.
That said… you won’t harm anything by changing the oil with the recommended oil. Just make sure that you don’t put detergent oil in it if it’s recommended to use non-detergent oil.
Another good trick is to drill out a small hole in the drain plug a glue a magnet in there. It keeps any ferrous metal castings from circulation.
And…. If you’re lazy and not anal like me…. Just leave it alone. It’s probably still going to outlast both of us.

All this talk got me thinking about my poor Nissan Hardbody. 275,000 miles and I know its been over 2 years since I changed the oil. Wow...time flies.
So... I changed the oil and filter and drilled out my drain plug to accept a magnet. LOL

Heck...I bet you this magnet will get me another 100k miles.

Attachments

• 69670D0C-637D-4DF8-8D71-D93B6A910186.jpeg
    69670D0C-637D-4DF8-8D71-D93B6A910186.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 2A4FBC4D-BD66-46A1-8C30-DED8CCDB3380.jpeg
    2A4FBC4D-BD66-46A1-8C30-DED8CCDB3380.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Back