What have you done in your shop lately?

Have heard of a lot of car breakins within our town. Have the ring doorbell and am part of their community updates. I decide to be alittle proactive and make a nice warning sign for the deadbeats. Friend has a plasma table so we came up with this nice little sign. My son wanted it painted like his archery target which I thought was a pretty good idea. Plan on putting on a stake like others do for their security system sign.
View attachment 321607
The only concern that I have with that type of sign is it could be interpreted to read, "Wait until I'm not home and steal my guns." I used to have signage until I realized theft-driven meth freaks see only the prize you're dangling in front of them, and not the warning. My preferred sign would read, "Danger: Landmines."

The only concern that I have with that type of sign is it could be interpreted to read, "Wait until I'm not home and steal my guns." I used to have signage until I realized theft-driven meth freaks see only the prize you're dangling in front of them, and not the warning. My preferred sign would read, "Danger: Landmines."
I always wondered why someone would put, "Protected by Smith and Wesson" on their vehicle. Hmm, let's see, which one has a gun I could steal?

Or, advertising your favorite adult beverage on your back window or bumper? Hmmm, I wonder if he has been drinking?

I would think people with a common sense would read it as don’t mess with that guy. But I messed up by thinking people had common sense??? If they decided to rob the house they’ed have to get past the mouser safe which they ain’t carrying out. They would only get my bedside pistol if they can find it. Besides I have mostly retired folks on my block that know what you’re doing all the time. Call them Hawkeyes. Let them try I hope I’m home!

After truing up the other grinder, and the staying at home, I decided to true up the other grinder as well. The hardest part is how not to destroy the bearing when take it apart.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 321631View attachment 321632View attachment 321633View attachment 321634View attachment 321635

Are you using jack stands as V-blocks? Two different jack stands too? I don’t think that’s precise enough to tweak a armature shaft? You need to have that on a surface plate with precise v blocks to get a accurate reading

Are you using jack stands as V-blocks? Two different jack stands too? I don’t think that’s precise enough to tweak a armature shaft? You need to have that on a surface plate with precise v blocks to get a accurate reading
My first sander that I trued above (the larger 8" one), it has bearings on both ends. Truing it was very easy on a jack stand, since I was able to rotate very lightly.

Truing the 2nd one on the jack stand was more challenging as you said. Putting it on carpet makes it even worse. However, once I got to the point that it doesn't move much after a few rotations (showing consistency with a black marker I put on it), I felt it was good. But you're absolutely right, I should have fabricated up something that it doesn't move, and even put temporary bearings on it (given that truing will be as accurate as the bearings themselves).

Have heard of a lot of car breakins within our town. Have the ring doorbell and am part of their community updates. I decide to be alittle proactive and make a nice warning sign for the deadbeats. Friend has a plasma table so we came up with this nice little sign. My son wanted it painted like his archery target which I thought was a pretty good idea. Plan on putting on a stake like others do for their security system sign.
View attachment 321607
I know those may look nice....but here in New Orleans any gun related decals on the car is an invitation for a broken car window because the thugs figure you might have a gun under the seat or in the glove box.
Put the same thing on your house....they might break in there too. In my opinion....best not advertise you have a gun. Anyway, always nice having the element of surprise.

I always wondered why someone would put, "Protected by Smith and Wesson" on their vehicle. Hmm, let's see, which one has a gun I could steal?

Or, advertising your favorite adult beverage on your back window or bumper? Hmmm, I wonder if he has been drinking?
Totally agree. A little story. A while back...I got into a conversation with the ATT technician who was working on my DSL. ( DSL... that’s another story )

Anyway he was a real nice black guy. Conversion moved to the subject of the NOPD. This was pre Katrina and before the NOPD fell into its Federal Consent Decree. Technician said his high school son was constantly getting pulled over by the cops and getting harassed. And on my end....I was in total agreement as this behavior seemed to be the norm in New Orleans at the time. The cops were truly a force to be feared in New Orleans at that time. FWIW....since the consent decree....it’s like night and day. Number of crap arrests and harassment by cops is way...way...way down.
Anyway...the black technician tells me that he got a St. Augustine High School bumper sticker for his sons car and since putting that sticker on his sons car....the son hasn’t once been pulled over by the cops.
The reason this worked is because the St Augustine Purple Knights....have more high school graduates who become NOPD cops than any other high school in New Orleans. It’s a great school by the way with by far the best high school marching band in Louisiana.

I have never touched a Honda with a tool but will ask a question about heating the bolt. In reading about tight bolt problems that question comes up quite often and especially with modern cars. Thread locking seems to have come of age in the last 20-30 years IMHO. Good luck in getting that bolt loose. Another question, is it left .or right hand threads.
Have a good day
Ray
Thread locking is most usually nothing more than some sort of Loctite. Reading the Loctite papers on their website says most of these systems do break down with heat. Using a butane torch usually does the trick. Most of the Loctite thread lockers break down around at about 250-300 degrees Fahrenheit.
I always just heat any bolt which gives me trouble. A butane torch and a IR thermometer does the trick.

I decided to try making a flipup threading tool holder, based on the design from this web page:
Halfway down that page is a link to download his blueprints. It is for his 10" lathe so I made mine to fit for my 7x16 mini-lathe. I didn't copy the blueprint, I made some modifications to suit me. It works great. My mini-lathe has a metric lead screw installed so I don't use the threading dial. I just leave the half nuts engaged and use the forward/reverse switch to control direction. With the flipup holder there is no need to back off the cross slide. When the lathe reverses the tool bit lifts up. When the lathe is stopped it falls back down to do the next cut. Sorry for the poor focus photos. I used my Iphone instead of my camera and the Iphone focuses wherever it wants. I included a test piece of 3/8" 4130 scrap to check operation at 16tpi. It worked and had no problems. I used hydrogen peroxide with sodium chloride to rust blue the holder. No particular attention was paid to make anything pretty, it is just a tool. No prep on the 3/8" threads, just picked up the rod from the scrap bin and cut threads.

Roy

Img_0114small.jpgImg_0115small.jpgImg_0117small.jpgImg_0119small.jpg

Back