What insert is this?

paynerd

Registered
Registered
Can anyone help me figure out what insert this is? Seems like I can do a lot of different things with this insert that I can't do with my other inserts.

Or if there are better inserts than this. When I try to cut at a 25 degree the insert holder starts to rub on what I'm turning because the insert doesn't protrude far enough from the holder.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• insert 1.jpg
    insert 1.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 110
  • insert 2.jpg
    insert 2.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 110
The tool in pic #2 is an excellent profile for crowning a bbl. The thinned down projection allows the tip to get into the bore and cut outward

The tool in pic #2 is an excellent profile for crowning a bbl. The thinned down projection allows the tip to get into the bore and cut outward
Ya that's what I'm looking for. Being new at this its very interesting to me how much personal customization there is with a lathe. There's not just 1 right way of doing things. (I'm sure most think their way is the only way) haha.

Why can't I just buy that bit, I don't want to learn how to do that too. : )

Ya that's what I'm looking for. Being new at this its very interesting to me how much personal customization there is with a lathe. There's not just 1 right way of doing things. (I'm sure most think their way is the only way) haha.

You probably can purchase one from some vendor that specializes in tooling for firearms. However, when they give you a price you will probably be more than happy to learn how to make your own. The most common HSS inserts usually cost between $15.00 and $20.00 per copy. Specialty inserts are usually triple the price. Once they're dull, worn, or chipped there usually isn't enough material left to resharpen them.

You can buy a HSS blank for about the same price or less and create the needed profile in just a few minutes. If it gets dull, worn, or chipped it can be resharpened quite a few times before it's so short it has to be discarded.

Last edited:

If you're looking to crown barrels, small solid-carbide boring bars work great and are ready to go off the shelf. I still recommend learning to grind HSS - it's a skill you'll never regret.

GsT

Here's a tutorial I wrote some time back for another forum. It got positive feedback at the time. I thought there was a big tutorial thread here, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.
You really just need an idea of the order in which to grind faces, know the shape you're going for, and then *practice*. Like most metal skills, or perhaps most skills in general, "seat time" is where you really learn.

GsT

Attachments

• cutters.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

Shoot me a pm with your address and ill send you a tool like that
I like HS tools and the finish that they give, but the above comment about a small boring bar is correct they make an excellent crowning tool. A small carbide boring bar is a good tool for barrel work to do other ops as well. The nice thing about HS steel is it is very low cost it can be ground for all kinds of applications and when they get dull just touch em up on a diamond stone and get back at it

Last edited:
Back