What insert is this?

Here's a tutorial I wrote some time back for another forum. It got positive feedback at the time. I thought there was a big tutorial thread here, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.
You really just need an idea of the order in which to grind faces, know the shape you're going for, and then *practice*. Like most metal skills, or perhaps most skills in general, "seat time" is where you really learn.

GsT
Got it downloaded. Will read it through when i get the time

Shoot me a pm with your address and ill send you a tool like that
I like HS tools and the finish that they give, but the above comment about a small boring bar is correct they make an excellent crowning tool. A small carbide boring bar is a good tool for barrel work to do other ops as well. The nice thing about HS steel is it is very low cost it can be ground for all kinds of applications and when they get dull just touch em up on a diamond stone and get back at it
Hey man sorry for the delay i didnt even catch this message. If you still have it, ill definitely put it to use in practice.

Thanks

I got the bit today, THANK YOU Seasicksteve! That's about the kindest thing! adamnlazybum, I will figure out how to grind these and do the same thing for you.

Let me pick your brain now. I want to do it on this chat so other newbies like myself can learn from this too. I don't know the proper terminology for these ends. Could you tell me when you would use each of these ends. I know I can use the center end to do crowning (which will be amazing), what would a person use the other end for?

Thanks again!!

Attachments

• IMG_9735.jpg
    IMG_9735.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9734.jpg
    IMG_9734.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 19
I got the bit today, THANK YOU Seasicksteve! That's about the kindest thing! adamnlazybum, I will figure out how to grind these and do the same thing for you.

Let me pick your brain now. I want to do it on this chat so other newbies like myself can learn from this too. I don't know the proper terminology for these ends. Could you tell me when you would use each of these ends. I know I can use the center end to do crowning (which will be amazing), what would a person use the other end for?

Thanks again!!
That other end just happened to be on the blank I grabbed I think it was for cutting a groove You could grind something suitable to your needs on that end

That other end just happened to be on the blank I grabbed I think it was for cutting a groove You could grind something suitable to your needs on that end
I tried your bit today on crowning. It does a lot better job than any of my other inserts. I grabbed a hss square blank and went to grinding to try and match what you sent me. Here's my question.... do I want that to be a sharp point? I had it at a very sharp point and tried it out and it was garbage so I grinded the point down and it was much better.

I tried your bit today on crowning. It does a lot better job than any of my other inserts. I grabbed a hss square blank and went to grinding to try and match what you sent me. Here's my question.... do I want that to be a sharp point? I had it at a very sharp point and tried it out and it was garbage so I grinded the point down and it was much better.
I ground that to a sharp point and then used a stone to hone a small radius on the point and to hone the edges The sharp point likely wont give a good surface finish Pay close attention to the relief angles so the tool has good clearance and doesn’t rub

Back