What Is In My Spindle???

jason30809

Registered
Registered
Hey guys my name is Jason. I believe this is only my second post because I like to comb through the forum to try to figure my problems out but im at a dead end. My lathe is a atlas 10f. in the pics there is what I assumed after much research, was a spindle sleeve. I used a large dowel through the spindle and a mallet to attempt to loosen it but I didn't budge and I didn't want to use much force because I was scared of damaging the spindle. you would be amazed at how many pics of these lathes dont show the spindle very well and none of the hundreds I have looked through seem to have the exact same thing that is neither a #3 taper or and #2 taper. it wont hold a #3 and of course a #2 is way way loose. please tell me what this is and how to remove so I can try turning between centers. thanks guys.

20151117_013211.jpg 20151117_013412.jpg 20151117_013445.jpg 20151117_013535.jpg 20151117_013702.jpg

do not know much about atlas but it appears that it might be a 5c collet adaptor.. which should pop out without too much trouble..did your lathe come with 5c collets a and a draw bar?

+1 on the collet adapter. For an Atlas I'd guess a 3C or 3AT adapter. You could use a brass rod to tap it out if you don't have the draw bar.

I had a sheldon lathe with collets. I made an aluminum knock out and threaded it too a 3/4" or 1" cr steel piece about 2' long . Then I used it like a canon rod with a couple of quick plunges it should pop out . You should be able to use one hand on the plunger and catch it with your other. It's a battering ram of sorts. It may take a few hard raps . Or put a brass or other softer metal in and use an abom79 approved lead knocker . If it is 5c and you don't have the rest I'd be willing to buy the adapter or try to get the rest for your lathe.

You might try applying some heat with a heat gun. The previous owner may have had a problem with slipping and used some Loctite.

Numerous good suggestions here. The impact should pop it out (I use Silverbullet's approach with an aluminum rod to pop the 3/5MT from my machine). If the impact seems excessive, make up a puller from a stout piece of threaded rod. You ought to be able to thread something onto the spindle (even just a few turns) to get out from that adapter sleeve - maybe a face place, chuck back plate or even a chuck. Then the largest piece of threaded rod that will fit and accomodate an appropriate "nut" or long spacer (length of pipe) and nut - then you could pull on the sleeve, followed by a sharp rap on the back end of said rod/spacer.

Let us know how it works out.

Agreed with it being for collets. If you can, use a piece of soft steel through the back side of the spindle and try to tap it out. Sometimes coolant gets between the adapter and spindle id and hardens up, gluing things together. Got that going on here. If you try heat just take it slow.

wow guys thanks for all the replies. im going to have another go at it this evening and I will let yall know how it goes. silverbullet, if it is an adapter you would be interested in I would have no problem with you acquiring it but I am always looking for tooling that I can use so trades are always welcome.

wow guys thanks for all the replies. im going to have another go at it this evening and I will let yall know how it goes. silverbullet, if it is an adapter you would be interested in I would have no problem with you acquiring it but I am always looking for tooling that I can use so trades are always welcome.
I'm up for trades if I have anything you need . That's the best way I think you get what you need and I get something I need. Let me know the stuff you need. Or want, thanks Gary

Back