What Is In My Spindle???

If it's really stubborn to get out, you can turn a center out of a piece of scrap and use a chuck jaw to drive the lathe dog. You'll have to retrue it each time you remove the center from the chuck but you can use it over and over.

If it were my 3AT adapter I wouldn't trade it.... just sayin. Knowing I had it, I would be inclined to purchase some collets and make use of it

I would love the ability to use collets on my little Southbend, they make using round rod so easy use. I'd keep it myself.

I have a Bison 5c chuck for my atlas, and I'm not pleased with the .0006-.001" runout that it produces. My original worn out 3 jaw repeats .0004.

I have a 5c setup on my 9" wide bed south bend, i turned the backing plate -.010 under size and used a harding collet with a plain gage blank , ground to .00005 concentric. Then i indicated the blank in to .0002 , by taping it around.

I think it's the 5c taper, I too use hardinge collets in it, and I checked it against something known to produce .0001 or less according to my Interapid. The backing plate was turned on the lathe for it, but the chuck was used.
I do like that idea tho, did you pin it afterwards or does it not move even after heavy turning?

What size are the threads on the spindle. If they are 2 1/4" x 8 it's 5c , if it's 1 1/2" x 8 it's the 3 at or ac series . If its 5c and you don't want it then I'm interested. If it the 3 at I'm not in real need of that size. Gary

yall are really some stand up guys. I am not a person that writes on forums much at all, instead I read and read and read but I have literally been wanting that thing out for months yet but was still unable to find out for sure what it was and how to safely remove it without damaging the spindle or bearings. I really appreciate all the advice. I heated it for probable 3-4 minutes and a few light hits with a soft copper tube and out it came. I took machining in the local community college but like a genius, I dropped out a few credits short of graduating, to join the infantry, jump outta airplanes and run around Afghanistan. it truly amazes me how much I have forgotten in 12 years. I literally remember nothing other than how not to my arms or face ripped off/ how to not get beat to death by a chuck wrench left in the chuck. so once again guys thanks for your time. Silver Bullet- the spindle nose is a 1/2-8 so I guess its one of the other two you mentioned.

20151119_210309.jpg 20151119_210235.jpg 20151119_210208.jpg

Well you could keep your eye out for the rest of the closer. You need the hand wheel tube and collets really. Watch eBay cheap sometimes.

Back