What is it? Fell out of motor...

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yesterday I powered up my RPC and it immediately made a noise like something getting tossed into a fan, with a loud clatter....luckily my finger was right next to the switch and turned it off. I rocked the motor (Baldor) and hear something move, so I pulled the end covers and these two pieces fell out. They're a hard plastic molding of some kind...insulation? I put everything back together, and it powered up and sounded normal. These remind me of something, but I can't put my finger on just what it is I'm thinking of. I'm sure someone here will know....

Parts.jpeg

It looks like chewing gum. ;) Did this RPC have a previous owner? It looks like it may have been someone;s attempt to repair a problem. Epoxy, maybe? A smell test with a soldering iron could verify.

It looks like chewing gum. ;) Did this RPC have a previous owner? It looks like it may have been someone;s attempt to repair a problem. Epoxy, maybe? A smell test with a soldering iron could verify.
It does look a bit like chewing gum, but I don't think that's what it is. I bought the RPC new and the nuts/screws holding the end plates on clearly hadn't come off before. The two pieces were clearly pushed over something. I should have mentioned that there was one piece per end when I opened up the motor, and I don't think there was a route from side to side that either could take to cross over.

Probably some type of glue or caulk the factory used internally- Can't be too important if it still works :)

I’ll bet it was some type of foam packing material. We used to get dozens of small motors from Baldor. They put foam in the shipping box. Then pressed the motor into it while it was still soft. Then they injected another layer on top of the motor.

Often times small pieces got in the vents and hardened. When unpacking the motor small pieces would have expanded inside the housing and break off

I’ll bet it was some type of foam packing material. We used to get dozens of small motors from Baldor. They put foam in the shipping box. Then pressed the motor into it while it was still soft. Then they injected another layer on top of the motor.

Often times small pieces got in the vents and hardened. When unpacking the motor small pieces would have expanded inside the housing and break off
That's crazy. We used to get computer equipment in urethane foam. They would use bags and inject the foam into the bag, which would form around the equipment. Made a great cradle.

Maybe adhesive wasps trying to build a nest in there
I'd say almost definitely not wasps...they are solid and have a pattern where they were pressed onto something. Something like a caulk is a possibility.

Back