What is needed to learn the fine art of knurling on a mini-lathe? Is it possible?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Found the thread "Easy Knurling by Conrad Hoffman". While quite informative, I've still got some questions. It's not clear to me how easy or hard knurling is to do on a mini-lathe. (Like I have.) Having seen a few threads with spectacular examples of the art, I'd like to put my toes in the water. Surely not to compete with anyone, as I doubt I could make anything that nice. Not sure what kind of knurling tool to get, or even if there are any good options with only an OxA QCTP. Checking down in my shop, rummaging about in the toolbox, I see that I have a 250-010, which I really hadn't examined carefully before. Never noticed before that it has some knurling rings on it one one end.

What can I expect to be able to do with this tool? How big a workpiece? The wheels seem to be about 0.490" in diameter and 0.18" wide, with a pivot spacing of 0.53". How do you start? How is the tool placed? It looks like you have to press it into the work and also feed it. How on earth do you maintain the right pressure? What materials could I knurl, I'm guessing only aluminum or brass. How do you feed it and maintain the pattern?

On the other end of this tool is a slot with set screws that is 0.509" high. Is there a scissors or clamping knurling tool available with a 0.5" high shank? What should I be looking for? Classic newbie question, "where do I start?"

Scissor or clamping type knurling tool out less strain on the lathe than the old style direct pushing style. It's important in the smaller sized lathles . Second most important item is use a quality set of knurls. The import one's will drive one crazy. Search past posts . There have been some excellent recommendations. There have been discussions of the proper dia .of the work piece to knurl. I have never bothered to match knurl pitch to work dia. and haven't had a problem. Lastly use lots of heavy cutting oil. Above all just go make some and see what will work for you and your particular lathe

Two problems I've found with the knurled you speak of. First is the force it takes to knurl like said its a lot of pressure on a small lathe but it can work. Two the axles that the knurls ride on are terrible. Sloppy fit to wheel and wear easily. I ended up replacing the axles with shoulder Allen bolts that were a snug fit to knurl wheel size. It did help a lot and it does produce a good knurl now but still a lot of force on lead screw. Since then I've made a pinch style knurled which works 100 times better with minimal forces on lathe.

A lot of folks here have much heavier lathes than I have, so what they do may not apply to me. Am I just looking for a clamp knurling tool with a 1/2" tall shank?

Thanks, @Cadillac I did notice the wheels were quite sloppy. They rock on the axle, not good. I don't have a sense on how hard to push, but I guess I'll try it and see when everything stalls. It sounds like a 3 ring circus for a beginner - lube, keep up the pressure and feed. Shoot, I can barely stand up and run one handle on the lathe. I may have seen someone's write up on a clamping design. Was that yours?

With the dinky knurler that I have, how large a piece can I knurl? Should I use a center?

The mini lathe is capable of knurling. LMS sells a knurling tool made for the mini lathe. It typically does ok on aluminum and brass. I also knurl steel but you need to make multiple passes until you get the depth you want. The problem is the knurling tool is not extremely rigid, and the lathe is not extremely rigid. I purchased a scissors type from Travers machinery and modified it to work on my mini lathe but it requires the extended cross slide kit from LMS. So yes the minilathe can do knurling and it does a pretty good job of it.
These fit and work:

This one requires modification and an extended cross slide
55-530-021 TTC KT/Q/2-6 Left Hand 0 - 2-1/4" Manual Lathe Shank 1/2" 1/2" $79.49 EACH

Roy

Roy, LMS isn't currently open, due to being considered non-essential by the state of California. (Just checked their website.) It would be nice to give them some business, but can't honestly say there is a desperate need to knurl. It's not an emergency (for me). I do like the extended cross slide! That's a good idea. I had a devil of a time machining a 3.75" diameter piece, as I couldn't back away far enough. Ended up angling the compound rest as far outbound as it could go. It was pretty awkward.

I'll check out the Travers link.

At one time, I downloaded the Camjack knurler instructions. I'll dust that off and see if it's possible to use.

My Sherline lathe weighs just over 30# and has 0.080HP and knurls like a beast - full depth knurls in stainless, brass, aluminum and mild steel in a single pass - if you use the right tool. I'm finishing up an article on how the tool is made if you can hold on. I'll include a sort of minimalist knurling primer and that might help answer some of your questions. The bottom line is that for a small lathe, a straddle knurler is the way to go.

@mikey, thank you very much! I'll wait..................................
Looking forward to this!

Get a biggin and mill the shank down . The shank means nothing other than if it fits your holders . Eagle Rocks or homemade scissprs work great in a small lathe . You need good quality knurls and axles .

@mmcmdl yes, that would work. Don't have a mill, so it would be a little harder, but not impossible. Files are amazing. Guess the key is 1) scissors type, and 2) not too long for my little lathe and 3) good axles and knurls.

Back