What is this $20 GS Find?

Not for black smithing or bending metal, that is precision made, you would wreck it in a heartbeat. It looks like rigs I have seen for mounting cylinder lawnmower blades for resharpening on a grinding lathe?
Phil

As a commercial landscaper for 20yrs I can say I have never seen any fixtures for sharpening blades. If we are willing to spend that kinda money we use blade grinders. They run about 400 and up. Not to say it aint one, just not one I ever seen

. bradley-lawn-mower-blade-sharpener-commercial-grade_220773838281.jpg

bradley-lawn-mower-blade-sharpener-commercial-grade_220773838281.jpg

I went back to that GS today hoping to get an idea of what the metal doohickey thing was. This is not for sure, but was told maybe to hold snow skis while working on the bindings? Jeez, this is a snow ski fixture! You can’t see me, but I’m rolling my eyes now. I’m not gonna be doin any snow ski anything in this lifetime, so it went into that pile in the corner of the garage. You know, that pile that’s got 10 generations of projects and you only have about 1/3 of a lifetime left to get it all done! Thank you all for the input!

It doesn't matter what it is. What matters is what it or some of its parts could be. Maybe parts for some sort of indexer? Before making some complex part I paw through my junk. Today I salvaged a nylon gear with a lovely little friction clutch on it that is going to save me a lot of work on my threading dial. It was part of a motor assembly that drove a vacuum capacitor in a piece of Western Electric microwave gear.

I went back to that GS today hoping to get an idea of what the metal doohickey thing was. This is not for sure, but was told maybe to hold snow skis while working on the bindings? Jeez, this is a snow ski fixture! You can’t see me, but I’m rolling my eyes now. I’m not gonna be doin any snow ski anything in this lifetime, so it went into that pile in the corner of the garage. You know, that pile that’s got 10 generations of projects and you only have about 1/3 of a lifetime left to get it all done! Thank you all for the input!

LOL, that's funny.. Skis, I bet no one here was thinking skis, everyones brain automatically went straight to "how does this thing manipulate metal"......:))

I think it's older parts repurposed for a newer fixture. I'm not sure but some screws look newer and the welding on the central part to the clamp screw just doesn't look right to me for some reason. Of course I could be wrong

It looks like it has rubber pads in the clamps. Probley not for welding

It looks like it has rubber pads in the clamps. Probley not for welding

Perhaps its application to skis has to do with straightening them rather repairing bindings. That would explain the rotary clamps. You could clamp a warped wooden ski in it, twist it just so, and then steam it or soak it.

Good for straightening (or twisting) boards, too.

Back