What is this chuck mount called?

Wow gangstas you are correct. I looked at 3 different lathes and none of them appear to have tapered boss'. That sure makes life easier.

I made this adapter close to 30 years ago for a new 5" three jaw but I can't remember how I did it. The flange had to be modified to allow for the three mounting bolts of the new chuck. I still use that lathe some to this today.
View attachment 472099
Ray
But do you like the lathe? You felt a need to acquire others (I know cast iron crack)?

It is a good lathe that I used exclusively for many years and many projects. There are things that need to be updated and addressed like all Harbor Freight products. I made a quick change tool post and a cam style tail stock lock that helped a lot. The enclosed oil bath gear box is way ahead of many other lathes.
I added a new 12X36 lathe ( the one in the side picture) as I wanted a larger foot print.

Ray

They were originally made in Taiwan at least back to 1979. They are fairly common outside the US, even sold in the UK some. It's common name is BV20. I was perusing buyee.jp and saw a suspiciously yellow looking lathe. But it was upfated with levers on the side of the headstock to change speeds. It wasn't updated w/ mold retardent, becauae like mine it had moldy primer. Mine is alleged to be new and sat in a crate for who knows how long. I'm suck a slacker I haven't even tested the motor (the wiring is disconnected for some reason).

The same basic model is still available but I've seen them ask utterly outrageous prices. In excess of 4k usd with shipping.

I made this adapter close to 30 years ago for a new 5" three jaw but I can't remember how I did it. The flange had to be modified to allow for the three mounting bolts of the new chuck. I still use that lathe some to this today.
View attachment 472099
Ray
What if you had used flat head cap screws? If the tops of the screws butt up against the lathe backplate, they ain't coming out

Back