What is this shell mill used for?

Brad125

Registered
Registered
I got a really good deal on this shelll mill. But I’m not sure I can use it. I did a lot of research and it appears to be a roughing shell mill. However, the top portion looks like it’s a 45 degree face mill. My mill is a 2hp, Jet Jmd-18. I only planned on using it for .050 depth of cut or less then finish with my fly cutter on mild steel. Could it possibility be a roughing/ finishing cutter in one tool?

Attachments

• 9405EA1A-D3F6-4EED-AF2A-8394A8F34E3C.jpeg
    9405EA1A-D3F6-4EED-AF2A-8394A8F34E3C.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 55
  • 32F2EB9F-0675-4F84-86C6-94A5E2F38EB7.jpeg
    32F2EB9F-0675-4F84-86C6-94A5E2F38EB7.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 56
That looks like it can do serious work.

If you have back gear, use it.

Good for removing bulk then Finnish with something else.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I looked up the manufacture and it states it a roughing end mill. I also read somewhere they make a roughing and finishing endmill in one tool. Which from the looks of it, it does appear that deep cuts could be taken with it due to the cob design. However, the upper portion appears to be smooth and cut to 45 degrees like a face mill. Most roughing shell mills do not have this design.

If I owned that roughing mill it would be my go to for rough side milling stuff to length sticking out the side of the vise. That height could side mill a pretty decent size piece and side milling takes advantage of the roughing profile.

It would be my last choice for face miling because it offers little advantage for that job over many other cutters.

Yea, what Batman just said.
That is made for roughing in a side cut. The chamfer at the bottom is so that for a pocket you can leave material in the corners to finish to a nice radii to prevent stress risers from a sharp inside corner. Even a chamfered inside corner is better than a sharp corner. You will need HP and a lot of rigidity to take a deep side cut.

Ohwell guess I bought the wrong tool. I’ll still try it out for a light facemill to just see what happens. Guess that’s a good excuse to buy a horizontal mill which is hopefully in the next year. I really didn’t care, I enjoy accumulating tooling. Seen a deal on a 5” facemill, lol I didn’t buy that one but it would sure be cool to look at on the bench.

Ohwell guess I bought the wrong tool. I’ll still try it out for a light facemill to just see what happens. Guess that’s a good excuse to buy a horizontal mill which is hopefully in the next year. I really didn’t care, I enjoy accumulating tooling. Seen a deal on a 5” facemill, lol I didn’t buy that one but it would sure be cool to look at on the bench.

I'd be thrilled to have a roughing shell mill like that for side milling stuff.......I think it's far from a waste. I might have to look for one.

Get a nice 1.5" face mill with SEHT/SEKT inserts and you'll run much higher rpm with much greater feed and dramatically better tool life.

Save that beautiful rougher for side hogging with slow feed and low rpm.

Back