What is this tool

it looks to me as an attempt to make a chamfering tool that didn't get finished
there doesn't appear to be any oxides or change in tool color to indicate hardening

Doesn't make sense for a valve seat reamer. I've done the job hundreds of times and without a pilot I can't imagine it would work right. Also the angle is way to steep for any engine I've worked on.

I tend to agree with Ulma Doctor, it looks like a purpose built tool, maybe one that never quite got finished.

Chuck it up and see what it does....

John

I agree it would need a pilot for a valve seat, pretty good craftsmanship for home built.

I have tons of custom tooling like that I bought used for pennies.... Most of mine looks kinda like that one, my tooling came from a shop that made medical grade gas regulators.....

When it shows up I'll get a better idea.

Flat bottom countersink, no pilot?
Yeah, the 'no pilot' has me stumped, too. But, what if it fits in a bore, and the shank IS the pilot?
So, it'd cut a cone at the bottom of a bore. Like, to make the brass collar for a cone-type hydraulic
fitting? If it were smaller, it could be a high-pressure coning tool like this
cone tools.jpg
but at that size, one doesn't handle 50ksi oil; cutting a brass retaining nut for a flare fitting
Cone fitting-SAE-J514-Hydraulic.jpg

or making a seat for a swageloc-style collar would be more likely.

Considering the reach it has and the smaller shank, I bet the pilot is the body as Whitmore just mentioned.

Doesn't make sense for a valve seat reamer. I've done the job hundreds of times and without a pilot I can't imagine it would work right. Also the angle is way to steep for any engine I've worked on.

I tend to agree with Ulma Doctor, it looks like a purpose built tool, maybe one that never quite got finished.

Chuck it up and see what it does....

John
Not for and internal combustion engine, for a high pressure valve, steam or some other process, something that cannot be removed for service, think Yarway of Convalve, check out www.emerson.com/.../yarway

Back