What is this Vise for?

Boojie

Registered
Registered
Found this in the shop of the of a friend’s older relative. The half cylindrical inserts swivel axially.
38fe663f9b3be7e789bcc2dff26f9914.jpg
8a84278385c190aa4e2ecb739ac6e071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree what AS109 said, the purpose is to give you multiple options for clamping different shaped objects including round tube without damaging the material.

Very nice find......Last time i seen one of those was back in my teens at an Industrial Museum somewhere in either Michigan, Ohio or Illinois but dont remember where Exactly. I remember because I asked the tour guide about it specifically and what I stated above was his reply.

What I find very interesting is how very thin the "Anvil" face is! I wonder if it is that thin because of too many "resurfacing" treatments with a grinding wheel?

After taking a closer look the hole almost looks like it was purposely put there because of the shape, what do you think about it?

Last edited:
......Last time i seen one of those was back in my teens at an Industrial Museum somewhere in either Michigan, Ohio or Illinois but dont remember where Exactly. I remember because I asked the tour guide about it specifically and what I stated above was his reply.

This came from Ohio I think.

I guess I’m gonna have to evaporust it and re paint it. Worth restoring.

I was wondering about the shape of the hole in the anvil also, if maybe there were inserts that keyed in. It also looks like you could move one of the inserts to the middle by itself for a very tapered part. Very cool though, definitely worth the effort to clean up.

chuck something round about 3" in diameter in it (rounded sides on the inserts). It looks purpose built for holding rounded billets.

Back