What is this

jmudler

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I am new and learning. I need to make a chuck key for a new to me lathe. What device is this guy using at the 5:30 mark to rotate the round stock? I can hear it click to set position. Dividing head? Rotary table sideways?

He's using a super spacer that has removable plates for X number of divisions. He pulled a spring loaded handle, rotated the chuck and when the next notch came around, the handle pops into it, locking it in.

Thanks. Is there any limitations or major difference between a dividing head, rotary table and super spacer. Being a newbie I cant buy all at this time.

Last edited:
A super space only does a dozen or so divisions.

A dividing head with the full set of plates can do almost all the divisions from 2 to 160 or so.
They are more tedious to set up and slower to index than a super spacer but can do the same divisions.

My chuck keys are smaller than his so I just use a 5c collet spin indexer to make mine.

I dont have any 5c collets. So my head was a what tool (investment) would make the most sense. My mill is R8. Why I was looking a dividing head or rotary table. I also have a 4" 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks that came off my mini lathe not being used. My new to me lathe is D1-3.

A super space only does a dozen or so divisions.

A dividing head with the full set of plates can do almost all the divisions from 2 to 160 or so.
They are more tedious to set up and slower to index than a super spacer but can do the same divisions.
To add to the versatility of an indexer, many can be used in either the vertical, horizontal position, or any angle in between. Those that have a tailstock can be used for longer work pieces. The chuck can also be removed and replaced with a dead center.

This is an L-W 11" indexer with a tailstock. It came standard with 2 additional plates allowing all numbers up to 50, and all even numbers up to 100 with the exception of 96.

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
For the purposes of making a chuck key, you can just use a combination square. Holding the stock in the vise, mill the first flat. Place the head of the square on the mill table with the blade pointing upward and rotate the flat against the blade of the square. Then mill the second flat. Repeat two more times.

Last edited:
Back