What Lathe To Keep?

songbird

Active User
Registered
I am a retired carpenter and fairly new to machine work, (about 5 years). I have a classing 5914 lathe that I absolutely love and would never part with, but have got into buying small lathes, cleaning/repairing them, then selling them for a small profit to support my machining habit. The problem I have is I would love to keep one as a back up lathe, but can't decide which one to keep. I currently have a 1945 9" south bend model A bench top, a 1948 10" Logan/Montgomery wards bench top, and a 1966 12"atlas/craftsman commercial cabinet model. Easy lathe has normal wear, and each with it's own advantages and disadvantages. They all have QCGBs. You would think the bigger 12" atlas/craftsman would be a no brainier, but the flat ways and "zymak" gears has me worried. All suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, Jim.

I was a wood butcher myself for many years. I have a 12" Craftsman for my small lathe and have been happy with it. I've heard others here say the flat ways are really a none issue and I would tend to agree, as long as everything is adjusted properly. Not a bad position to be in having three to pick from. Mike

I've always been a south bend fan myself, if you have a bigger lathe anyway size isn't much of an issue.

I've always been a south bend fan myself, if you have a bigger lathe anyway size isn't much of an issue.

What about other lathe features? Does your Wards/Logan have the plain apron or the automatic one? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the South Bend Model A has separate feed for turning and half nuts for threading, I don't believe this is true for the Atlas. The Logan will have separate feed if it has the automatic apron (like my Logan 820).

I believe they all have power cross feed.

Last edited:
Keep the 9" SBL, you won't be disappointed! Next choice would be the Logan lathe.

Don't feel bad, I have five lathes right now and trying to decide which one's to keep to down size. My 9" SBL is a keeper, it belonged to my dad and it's where I got my start in this disease. I'm partial to Sheldon lathes myself. Have two, a 13" and 15".

What about other lathe features? Does your Wards/Logan have the plain apron or the automatic one? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the South Bend Model A has separate feed for turning and half nuts for threading, I don't believe this is true for the Atlas. The Logan could will have separate feed if it has the automatic apron (like my Logan 820).

I believe they all have power cross feed.
You are correct, the south bend power feed runs of the key way on the lead screw, the atlas and my Logan runs off the half nut lever, (which I really do not like), but the atlas and Logan has timkin bearings, compared to southbends friction/oil lite/ect. bearing. Also, I do not have the steady or follower rest for the southbend, but have both for atlas and Logan.

As long as your bronze bearings are lubricated well they will last a lifetime. Not to worry.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back