What makes a drill chuck good or bad ?

Most of my Jacobs are old USA built and I had to rebuild a few of them. They are all very serviceable now but some were pretty worn before I rebuilt them. I really haven’t put a gauge on them but that’s because I haven’t noticed any excessive runout. These are matched to various MT 2 and MT3 arbors for use in lathe tailstocks. I also have a couple of Jacobs #0 chucks with 1/2” arbors for drilling very small bits. I just chuck these in a 1/2 collet or another Jacobs set into a tailstock. I tend to leave various size bits so it’s quicker when I need to spot drill and then drill bigger holes. No fumbling with chuck keys most of the time.
Also have a couple of Albrecht 5/16” capacity chucks matched to 1/2” arbors. I do love Albrecht chucks but just can’t afford buy new Jacobs let alone a new Albrecht. Almost every chuck I have came from EBay. Some of the Albrechts needed new jaws which also were sourced off of EBa. If one is patient, it’s not too hard to source a rebuildable quality drill chuck and then patiently source a matched rebuild kit from EBay. They both show up all the time on EBay. I’m pretty sure that I have a total cost of @ 75.00 or less for each of my Albrechts. And now they are all as good as new. Even Albrechts can be had for a reasonable cost if the jaws suck. It just takes some time and investigation to get it all together.
I could never justify 300.00 to 400.00 for a new chuck. But now I must have 4 of them and they are perfect In my opinion.... other than cosmetic. Like maybe someone put a pair of pliers to the knurled housing.
Anyway.... that’s my rant. I just like to have a bunch of chucks and FWIW... I did buy just one keyless Chinese chuck. It’s crap and everything chucked into it slips. Just crap in my opinion.

I tend to leave various size bits so it’s quicker when I need to spot drill and then drill bigger holes. No fumbling with chuck keys most of the time.

There is a joke that Norm Abrams doesn't change bits, he just changes routers.
But I see the logic to having dedicated chucks for the top 2-3 used drills.

-brino

That goose looks like a pelican to me
Can't they get their waterfowl straight?

That goose looks like a pelican to me
Can't they get their waterfowl straight?

It's the Taiwanese version of a goose, but then again it looks lie a pelican to me as well. The nice thing is the ones I have work fine and have done so for nearly 30 years.

What about the goose chucks in the white and red box seen on ebay? Are they goodies or baddies?

What about the goose chucks in the white and red box seen on ebay? Are they goodies or baddies?

I've not seen, and I am not aware of any Golden Goose chucks in a red and white box anywhere including on eBay. The older ones currently on eBay are red and black with some white writing. Some of those on eBay have boxes that are worn and damaged enough that there appears to be some white on them, but the original packaging is as I just described. I also posted a link to an older style in my previous post. It's the top link.

That's odd, it's not there now. Must have been just the one and it sold. It was a white box with red lettering and it had the pelican on it
I think it was a larger chuck like 16mm

Good: Made in USA, Germany, Spain or Taiwan.
What makes a bad chuck: Made in Commie China.
End of discussion.
LOL

A proper test is worth hundreds of hobby machinist opinions. Of course, it is difficult to do a proper check before you buy a chuck, so luck of the draw also comes strongly into play. Pretty does not necessarily mean accurate, and ugly does not necessarily mean useless... ;)

Back