What Mill Accessories to Start With?

One thing I wish I had done differently is to start right out with a good ER-32 collet set and just skipped the R-8. It got old undoing from the drawbar every time I had to change tooling. The ER-32 collet change is all right at the end of the quill. Haven't touched the R-8 since.

For practicing and learning before you spend a huge amount on endmills there is a harbor freight set of 2 and 4 flute from maybe 1/8 (with 3/8 shank) through 3/4" Not the greatest but you also don't feel too bad about crashing one if and when you do.

I was glad I had a cheap set of end mills to start, you learn about how things sound as you go. They didn't last long, they got dull quick with my learning curve. Little Machine Shop has an online calculator that is a good quick reference.

Thanks again for all the guidance and help. I picked up the mill on Friday. Just finished setting it up temporarily in my garage. Usable as is less a vice. It will end up in my basement workshop set up for CNC.

Precision Matthews was easy to work with, and everything looks OK. I'll turn it on this week. I don't have any appropriate tools yet to check anything.

IMG_20220822_172641558.jpg

Sounds like I'm going to have to look into how to set up a go-fund-me site for a lathe. ;)
I like that idea! I’d like to step up a size on my mini mill & lathe, but can’t justify it on my fixed income (doesn’t everyone have a fixed income?).

I recall a number of Kickstarter projects a few years ago looking for funding so that someone could learn something (like baking cakes, backers in NYC would get one cake a month for a year) or a food truck business (backers got undying thanks). Think of how much good I could do with larger, more rigid machines

CNC? Tool changer? Think about Tormach...

I don't have CNC, but built a set of about 20 tool holders to go into one holder that mounts in the spindle. No, I don't use them all at once but sets of drill and taps take up a number of holders.

Hi all,
I am a newb here, and new to machining. But in regards to larger holes, any thoughts on annular cutters? Amazon has pretty inexpensive sets.

Annular cutters are great, I have a gravity feed coolant through arbor for mine.

Back