What Shaper is this one?

ah, i see'd a link to the description so it does use change gears

Be ready, you will be looking for pieces to do something with, just to watch it run.

Also, beware there is a forward and reverse on shapers, Make sure the table moves on the return stroke. Also, the return stroke is faster the the cutting stroke, just easier to look for which stroke the table moves on.

Thank you for the advice. I have the machine in the workshop now and just need to find some time to clean it down and lubricate it's various surfaces and then splash some cash on what ever cutting tools I will need. So your advice has come early but none the less will be invaluable in understanding how these machines work.

Mal

That machine looks like it operates much like an Atlas 7 inch. One thing to be very careful of when first starting out is to make sure when you adjust the stroke that the clapper box doesn't come back and hit the front of the casting. The guy I bought my shaper from had never run one and when he was showing it off to me he crashed it. It's easy to do when changing stroke length and stroke position if you aren't really careful.

That looks like a well made machine. Since those change gears haven't been used, I'd bet you got a mint machine there. Another plus is the universal table. Wish mine had that. Good luck and have fun with it!

A bit more information on the problem to avoid would be appreciated. I am certainly not going to throw her into gear and flick the on switch.
I can see I will need to dyna bolt her to the floor and also make sure she has room to move through her full stroke.
What is the clapper box, if I can be so naive?

Mal

Guard the vise with your life! Shaper vises have four bolt holes, unlike drill press, milling vises, and general use vises, that normally have only two holes to bolt down. Shaper vises , by themselves, unattached to a shaper, are extremely rare. So much so that often shapers without a vise, were considered next to useless. So, great find!

Glenn

Yes the 4 bolt vice is there, though it could do with a bit of love.
I check visitor's bags before they leave, just in case.

Thanks

Mal

i have a small shaper i use for internal keyways. it doesn't have a variable speed motor but i easily change speed on the fly. are you sure those gears go with that machine?

In the information sheet on the internet, the set of change gears are shown.
Inside the area where the change gears fit, their is a small table that defines which gears to use in combination.
So the gears are definitely for this machine, which seems like a very positive feature.
2L2A9369.jpg

Mal

That machine looks like it operates much like an Atlas 7 inch. One thing to be very careful of when first starting out is to make sure when you adjust the stroke that the clapper box doesn't come back and hit the front of the casting. The guy I bought my shaper from had never run one and when he was showing it off to me he crashed it. It's easy to do when changing stroke length and stroke position if you aren't really careful.

That looks like a well made machine. Since those change gears haven't been used, I'd bet you got a mint machine there. Another plus is the universal table. Wish mine had that. Good luck and have fun with it!

That doesn't look like a universal table to me. No means of tilting it side to side or front to back. It is a nice shaper, though.

That doesn't look like a universal table to me. No means of tilting it side to side or front to back. It is a nice shaper, though.

The dirt and grime were pretty thick, so it took awhile to clean.
I think the attached photos shows that this is not a universal table as you state, but the intermediate level which I think could be termed a "swivel table"
But please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards Mal
2L2A9370.jpg
2L2A9372.jpg

In the information sheet on the internet, the set of change gears are shown.
Inside the area where the change gears fit, their is a small table that defines which gears to use in combination.
So the gears are definitely for this machine, which seems like a very positive feature.View attachment 314890

Mal
Do you speak French? Ala, Coupes, Pignons and whatever it says in the middle?? Whatever that means ...

Is that an oil pump below the gearing in post #35?
If so, there must be a sump somewhere.

Back