What Should I Do with All These Wooden Drawers?

Where is the tattoo...;-)

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Looking good, Erik. I like the backless design — you can get at stuff from either side if you want without going around the barn to get at it.

-frank

what kind of putty? Stain and putty??????? there's only a few puttys that take stain. most don't.

I always save the sawdust of the material I am working with and mix it with glue and stain to fill... Sometimes just stain depending on whether the glue will bond to the stain...

what kind of putty? Stain and putty??????? there's only a few puttys that take stain. most don't.

I always save the sawdust of the material I am working with and mix it with glue and stain to fill... Sometimes just stain depending on whether the glue will bond to the stain...
I believe we are using the kind of putty that accepts stain. Of course, there will be no wood grain where the putty is.

Fortunately, I have sanded off almost all of the putty. There is very little putty left.

One will be able to tell where the putty was applied.

The stain does look good; does it seal the wood, though? If it were my unit, those blank faced drawers
would need more than knobs, I'd be doing trials to see if hotmelt glue would hold a label on, and detach
neatly when it's time to change the label. I like boiled linseed oil for finish, it's inexpensive and has the
virtue of not showing dings... but labels don't stick to it well.

@whitmore

I am only going to mark the drawers with numbers. There will be a clipboard that one uses to determine which drawer to grab. I am actually too lazy to lean over and read labels on drawers. I’m sure I will change the “drawer contents list” many times.

I have a label maker. I hope the labels adhere to the varnish after the varnish is dry.

Back