What should I do with these

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string. Some of what was left at my house were a bunch of bar bell weights. Most were around 2lbs. But there were two 25lb weights. I think that they are cast iron. Haven't tried to figure out what they are made of. I thought of trying to make face plates for the lathe. Can't think of anything else that might be useful. Are these things good for anything other than scrap?

IMG_4202.JPG

That'd be great if I had a tractor. Don't even have a lawn and never will. Grass and I don't get along very well. It's that allergy thing. And my lot is maybe 5,000 sq ft. I do have an old lawnmower that was left behind. Don't know if it runs. I might make it into a gopher heaven to keep the gophers under control.

Clean them and sell them on craigslist? Barbells are selling for around $1 to $2 per pound new. It's not like they wear out.

Test them with a file. I bought some very low quality ones at a garage sale, and they were all machinable. There were a few hard spots. They can be used to make "circular" things. Some examples are back plates for chucks, compound replacement blocks, the ring for a steady rest. First, test how well they cut. I've heard that some are too hard.

I am going to have a patio umbrella. That's an idea I will explore.

Don't currently have any floor lamps but might have some in the future in the living room.

Back