• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

What size spline wrench for spindle rf31?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
What is the size of the splinewrench needed to hold the spindle while loosening the drawbar?

28mm?

Where is a source to buy one?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member

mikey

Active User
+1 on the 28mm Luminar wrench. Costs 20 bucks from the maker - worth every cent.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Got mill? Make your own. I made this one for a Grizzly G0755 from 3/8" 6061. Spline Wrench.JPG

Cadillac STS

Active User
Got mill? Make your own. I made this one for a Grizzly G0755 from 3/8" 6061. View attachment 246271
Thanks for the drawing. With all that it is a nice easy CNC project to draw up and make. Or just be able to bore the hole manually and cut the slots manually.

The Rong Fu 31 has a 28mm spline spindle

It is helpful to add what you know to threads like this because they will be stored for years and searchable. Prior to this thread answering the question with helpful info nothing came up searching for the spline wrench for the machine. Now this will and it will help people all over the web not just this site. And that drawing will be seen and used worldwide.

RJSakowski

Thanks for the drawing. With all that it is a nice easy CNC project to draw up and make. Or just be able to bore the hole manually and cut the slots manually.

The Rong Fu 31 has a 28mm spline spindle

It is helpful to add what you know to threads like this because they will be stored for years and searchable. Prior to this thread answering the question with helpful info nothing came up searching for the spline wrench for the machine. Now this will and it will help people all over the web not just this site. And that drawing will be seen and used worldwide.
I believe that this wrench was for a 28mm spline as well. It was for a Grizzly G0755 mill. I actually made it on a manual mill with an RT but it would be a good project on a CNC mill.

Robert LaLonde

Banned - Abusive Behavior Towards Staff & Members
Banned
Grizzly sells spline wrenches that fit my old retired RF45 style mill. I think they ones I have are two sizes. I never checked it on my RF30 though before I sold it. It also happened to fit the spindle on my Hurco KMB1, but I use an pneumatic disc brake on that.

Count the splines, measure the OD and look.

RJSakowski

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spindle-Spline-Wrench/T26307

Tie a big yellow rope theough the unused end so it gets your attention and you are less likely to get distracted and leave it on the machine.-
As I recall that happened a few times with the G0755. It swings around and hits a stop on the motor and you quickly kill the power. The good thing about the design is that it can't come flying off. I'd worry more about the drawbar wrench.

Maybe tie the two together? For the really safety conscious, install a key switch in series with the run switch and tie the key to the wrench(es) with a short cord.

derf

Funny.....I've had one of those machines for 30 yrs and never used a spline wrench.:dunno:

Cadillac STS

Active User
Funny.....I've had one of those machines for 30 yrs and never used a spline wrench.:dunno:
How do you hold the spindle still while loosening or tightening the drawbar?

I would really like to be surprised by an easy method of holding without the spline wrench.

derf

I just hold on to the spindle pulley. Never had any problems with collets coming loose. Like most users of these machines, I leave the top cover off.

yendor

Active User
I usually just grab one of the belts and squeeze the sides together to create a pinch force on the pulley.
Works for me so far.

JR49

Active User
Got mill? Make your own. I made this one for a Grizzly G0755 from 3/8" 6061.
Great drawing RJ, I'd like to make one myself but have a few very novice questions first. Obviously the "R" numbers refer to radius, does the circle with a line through it stand for Diameter? Also, you have two angles marked out, not sure what point of stating those angles is. Thanks, JR49

Buffalo21

I bought one on sale for $10, about 2 yrs ago, added to the cart, to get up to the minimum for free shipping. I’ve never used it or even see if it fit, I just use the spindle brake when loosening or tightening the drawbar. The wrench is in a box, somewhere in the basement.

RJSakowski

I just hold on to the spindle pulley. Never had any problems with collets coming loose. Like most users of these machines, I leave the top cover off.
I use the pulley on my old mill/drill too. The G0755 doesn't have a pulley; it's gear driven.

RJSakowski

Great drawing RJ, I'd like to make one myself but have a few very novice questions first. Obviously the "R" numbers refer to radius, does the circle with a line through it stand for Diameter? Also, you have two angles marked out, not sure what point of stating those angles is. Thanks, JR49
Yes, R for radius and the Greek letter phi (circle with line through it) for diameter. SolidWorks uses radius for dimensioning partial circles and diameter for complete circles. The two angles are the start and end of the fillet. I used my RT to make the wrench and that was the rotation angle of the table. It's not critical to the function of the wrench and the fillet could be made with a little hand filing.

[6]
[5] [7]