What sizers power belt for PM1340

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I understand the tri-power belt is about the best to use for the PM 1340 GT. What size should I order?

size BX24 and size BX25

I got mine from here.

David

Flip the motor pulley and run it as a single belt speed, it would take a Gates Tri-Power BX-26 belt. If one is using a non-VFD PM-1340GT and wants to retain a 2 speed pulley drive one needs a BX-24 and a BX25 belt, the stock belt is somewhere in between those two.

When running off of a VFD If you want quicker stops, set a higher mechanical RPM drive setting and turn down the VFD Hz. So for threading I usually run my VFD at around 20-30 Hz. There is less mechanical momentum in the drive system.

Using a VFD and flipping the motor pulley, use a BX-26 (If I recall a few people have also used a BX-27):
PM1340GT belting BX26 reversed motor pulley for single speed.jpg

Stock non-VFD would need a BX-24 and BX-25:
20160121_161340.jpg

Flip the motor pulley and run it as a single belt speed, it would take a Gates Tri-Power BX-26 belt. If one is using a non-VFD PM-1340GT and wants to retain a 2 speed pulley drive one needs a BX-24 and a BX25 belt, the stock belt is somewhere in between those two.

When running off of a VFD If you want quicker stops, set a higher mechanical RPM drive setting and turn down the VFD Hz. So for threading I usually run my VFD at around 20-30 Hz. There is less mechanical momentum in the drive system.

Using a VFD and flipping the motor pulley, use a BX-26 (If I recall a few people have also used a BX-27):
View attachment 320663

Stock non-VFD would need a BX-24 and BX-25:
View attachment 320664
I guess I'll flip the pulley and order a new BX26 belt, somehow every time I read one of Mark Jacobs or David Bests posts I learn something new.

Thanks for the info.

David.

OK, I got myself the BX 26 belt. What is the advantage of flipping the pulley around?

No pulley changes for low and high speed. The stock large motor pulley to large headstock pulley splits the difference between the pulley ratios, so with a VFD running to 20-90/100 Hz should give you a spindle speed range of 50-2000 RPM using the gearbox ratios/VFD. When running an inverter style motor which goes to 120-125 Hz, using a ~2.3" pulley you get about the same speed range with more optimal motor performance in the constant Hp range.

No pulley changes for low and high speed. The stock large motor pulley to large headstock pulley splits the difference between the pulley ratios, so with a VFD running to 20-90/100 Hz should give you a spindle speed range of 50-2000 RPM using the gearbox ratios/VFD. When running an inverter style motor which goes to 120-125 Hz, using a ~2.3" pulley you get about the same speed range with more optimal motor performance in the constant Hp range.
Mark,

Do you have a thread that dives into this? I am trying to decide what direction to go with for my now on its way 1340GT 3 Phase.

Thanks!

Mark,

Do you have a thread that dives into this? I am trying to decide what direction to go with for my now on its way 1340GT 3 Phase.

Thanks!
Perhaps this will help you - especially if you're considering a VFD configuration. I have posted speed tests of my PM-1340GT here using Mark's control package with Hitachi VFD. The first photo describes the motor/belt/pulley setup. The videos that follow illustrate the range of speeds available in Low/Low and High/High gear settings, along with the actual RPM with the VFD at 60Hz in each of the six possible gear settings. With this setup I am able to achieve 24 to 2081 RPM with a single belt position. And with the JOG function, I have sufficient torque to run a 5/8-11 tap (in a tailstock-mounted tap holder) into 304 stainless at 24 RPM using the Jog joystick for control (I haven't tried anything larger - yet).

Back