What sizers power belt for PM1340

It depends on if you use a VFD or not, and to some degree the motor you are using. If using the stock 3 phase motor with a VFD, then flipping the motor pulley allows you to run the lathe as a single speed pulley setup, similar to what David has posted. The VFD can operate say from 20-100 Hz will give you a slightly wider speed range from stock. If you replace the stock motor with a inverter/vector motor, then you can run a smaller motor pulley (~2.1" or just used the low speed pulley ratio) and tun the motor to 125Hz which will give you the same spindle speeds as the high gear pulley ratio and not needing a belt change. The Gates Tri-power BX belts have worked well and are a significant improvement over the stock ones. If flipping the stock motor pulley then a BX26 should work, If going to a smaller motor pulley like a 2.1, then a BX24.

Going to be running the stock 3 phase on hitachi VFD. Looks like I’m ordering 2 26,s and flipping the pulley. Thanks all!

You only need one BX26 belt not 2 on the 1340GT. The 1440GT taxes two smaller belts and the setup is different.

You only need one BX26 belt not 2 on the 1340GT. The 1440GT taxes two smaller belts and the setup is different.
Was going to get 2 so I would have a spare. Kind of like how I bought a pack of 10 fuses for my enclosure LOL!

Interesting topic, as I would like to replace the stock 1440GT belts on the stock 3 ph motor running with a vfd.
Would someone know size needed ? Thanks

I developed a set with the tri power belt and had a noticeable vibration. I have since switched to a Gates green belt as its significantly more flexible. It may not last as long because it's softer but I'm not worried about that. For what its worth, I use the same belt on my tractor.

I got my tri powers delivered and they are quite stiff. Hoping a run in will loosen them up

I developed a set with the tri power belt and had a noticeable vibration. I have since switched to a Gates green belt as its significantly more flexible. It may not last as long because it's softer but I'm not worried about that. For what its worth, I use the same belt on my tractor.

Interesting topic, as I would like to replace the stock 1440GT belts on the stock 3 ph motor running with a vfd.
Would someone know size needed ? Thanks
Here is a link, to a replacement belt for the belt that came on my PM1440GT, which gives sizes. I have noticed considerable edge wear as debris flakes off. So I will be interested in what belt you choose as a replacement and how well it works. Are you running via a VFD with ebraking?
https://www.vbeltguys.com/products/...otors-oem-equivalent-cogged-automotive-v-belt

Gates green belt as its significantly more flexible.

Jason812, Are you running these on a PM1440GT? If so can you provide a model number etc.? If so are you also using e-braking.

I suspect that the stress of the short times of e-braking can cause considerable belt wear. I have also noticed that there are belts made just for variable speed. I am not for sure what property they have that would qualify them for this application. Do they work better to smooth out the starting accelerations etc. ?

Dave

Here is a link, to a replacement belt for the belt that came on my PM1440GT, which gives sizes. I have noticed considerable edge wear as debris flakes off. So I will be interested in what belt you choose as a replacement and how well it works. Are you running via a VFD with ebraking?
https://www.vbeltguys.com/products/...otors-oem-equivalent-cogged-automotive-v-belt

Jason812, Are you running these on a PM1440GT? If so can you provide a model number etc.? If so are you also using e-braking.

I suspect that the stress of the short times of e-braking can cause considerable belt wear. I have also noticed that there are belts made just for variable speed. I am not for sure what property they have that would qualify them for this application. Do they work better to smooth out the starting accelerations etc. ?

Dave
No, I have a 1340GT with a VFD and braking resistor. I chose the green belt because it holds up well on the tractor even though I'm not sure how much it takes to run a water pump and alternator. I have a 2-7/8" drive pulley going to the low speed headstock pulley and am using the 6928 belt.

Yes VFD with e-braking resistor. Was thinking of the tri power, but I may hold off with the stiffness issue mentioned.

Back