What success and failure have you had with a lathe milling attachment?

It does not take the place of a mill but its better than nothing and is definitely way cheaper.
That sums it up very well.
My milling attachment is completely homemade starting with a piece of angle iron.
It has worked out well for what I had to do. Will dig out some pictures.

That sums it up very well.
My milling attachment is completely homemade starting with a piece of angle iron.
It has worked out well for what I had to do. Will dig out some pictures.
Awesome I look forward to them

Wow that is some amazing work you did there. You inspired me to get better acquainted with my 4 jaw chuck. My skill level is a 1 and yours is an 11!
I would love a mill but without the funds I made a vertical slide for my lathe.
and heres some of the items made with it.
Light cuts is the secret as I does chatter on heavy cuts.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-first-steam-engine.21205/page-2#post-700160 post 35
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-giant-binocular.55688/page-5#post-650469 post 144
It does not take the place of a mill but its better than nothing and is definitely way cheaper.

Thanks but I dont show the stuffups if I can get away with it. :laughing:
It wasnt long ago that I was a newb, I have no formal training at all, just you tube and forums.
I try stuff after having a good think about it and if it works then thats awesome, if it doesnt work then I still learn something.

I remember reading your post on making that milling attachment. Amazing work!

One thing I am going to change on the Palmgren is to some how allow a ratchet to turn that knurled knob. Lots of turning when moving a long distance. I will remove it and figure out what I will do.
Pierre

Great work TOZ! I see you used your compound for the Z axis. I've done the same thing! I also made a plate to attach to the compound with a field of 3/8 x 16 holes that comes in handy for oddball setups. It did require tapping 2 holes in the compound up on the the handwheel end. It also will allow me to mount a small mill vice.

rsz_1dsc_1063.jpgrsz_dsc_0830.jpg

I adapted a fairly large South Bend milling attachment to my 15" lathe (I think it was intended for the 16" South Bend lathe). The accessory is pretty sturdy, and I made up a mounting plate that mated to the machined top T-slot carriage. It was really a pain to use, but obviously better than nothing. Needless to say, since I bought a mill - this attachment has not seen the light of day!
DSC02557.JPG

A "milling attachment" is officially called a key way cutter. They really aren't for milling.

That said, I have done milling with a home made attachment. There are plans out there for making an attachment using cold rolled stock that includes a slot table. If you don't have room for a mill, or can't afford one, you can build an attachment cheaper than an official attachment. Just remember that it isn't as rigid, and such you should take very light cuts. Use collets in the headstock to hold end mills (drill chucks and lathe chucks aren't good).

joe

Back