What to buy next? Shaper vs. Surf grinder vs. Tool Cutter grinder?

Manual surface grinders certainly do good work, and get the job done, with less complication in the machines. Excellent work is done on them.

However, letting your surface grinder automatically traverse the table at a steady and constant speed, with automatic preset step overs, even only a few thou per step if desired, leaving a beautiful finish while you are doing something else, and just waiting for the step over to trip the stop on the far side of the work, is pretty damned cool, brings on a big smile, and I recommend you all trying it sometime to see just how nice it really is. :)

My 1946 B&S 2L surface grinder, with mechanical power table traverse and power cross feed step over, but no automatic vertical feed, cost me $500, needing some spindle work and a good cleanup. A big thanks to Benmychree, who sold it to me three plus years ago.

So in my craigslist example https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/d/fullerton-boyar-schultz-surface-grinder/6987869800.html is $600 a fair deal? It doesn't look like it comes with any tooling...which I don't even know what that would be for a SG. My guess is wheels and a mag chuck as far as the basics go?

Here's a cheaper one about 3+hrs away (one way) but looks a lot worse: https://ventura.craigslist.org/hvo/d/simi-valley-surface-grinder-boyar/6988502174.html

There are others that are better looking but in the $1k+ range.

So in my craigslist example https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/d/fullerton-boyar-schultz-surface-grinder/6987869800.html is $600 a fair deal? It doesn't look like it comes with any tooling...which I don't even know what that would be for a SG. My guess is wheels and a mag chuck as far as the basics go?

Here's a cheaper one about 3+hrs away (one way) but looks a lot worse: https://ventura.craigslist.org/hvo/d/simi-valley-surface-grinder-boyar/6988502174.html

The Orange county one is a manual machine. Boyar Schultz made good grinders. Condition is mostly about the spindle, which can cause bad work and can be quite expensive to have rebuilt. Many say we should not attempt to rebuild a SG spindle ourselves. I disagree, after rebuilding the plain bearing spindle on my B&S. Still, it is not like changing the wheel bearings on your pickup, the ball bearing spindles need a really good job of making them correct, and I have never seen a tutorial for that... The pros charge a LOT to rebuild a SG spindle, WAY more than the used machine costs.

The Simi Valley one may be better or worse, sure looks neglected. You gotta test them, and take the table off. If there is grit and crud and wear in the ways, then walk away. If the spindle has ANY play or gritty feel, walk away, or be knowledgeable, prepared, and willing to spend serious time and money on it.

If you want to buy it and use it as is, you must test it on some work and get good results. Or be ready to repair it.

Thanks Bob. I'm really tight on space so I'm not in a hurry for sure.

I had one of those. they are ok for occasional use but not heavy use. I rebuilt mine twice then got an oiled compressor.

The asking price for the first one is about what I paid for my Sanford MG. If you look back at my first post in this thread you'll see the condition of my machine versus the one you linked. Mine came with about a dozen assorted grit wheels, a wheel hub, a hub wrench, and a magnetic chuck. Note the one in the add doesn't have any wheel guards, a chuck, or splash guards. A used magnetic chuck in good condition alone usually runs about $200.00. As bob mentioned you need to test the machine to be sure the table ways, lead screws, and spindle bearings are in good shape.

Attached are 3 more pictures of my machine. This is exactly what it looked like when I got it. In the 6+ years I've had it the only thing I've had to do is change out a couple wheels, and lube it.
DSC09984A.JPGDSC09985A.JPGDSC09986A.JPG

@projectnut you have a really nice, organized shop and everything clean too...love it! Do you have any more pics/details of your shop?

I'll keep looking for a nicer unit. There was one but the guy said he bought it years ago, never even plugged it in...it was a auto mechanic shop. The unit looked complete but covered under layers of dust and way in the back where I couldn't even get to it. Again, I need to somehow create more floor space first. I'm thinking a Shars type T&C grinder might happen first because of the footprint.

There was a really good thread last year about SG's and was seriously contemplating the whole thing and guys like Bob and benmychree and others were very insightful into the process. There was a Chevalier for $900 with tons of wheels and attachments and another that might have been the original Taiwanese maker of one like the smallest one Grizzley has for $600.

Because of the excellent thread I was armed with more of what to look for than I actually knew as I've never even been around a surface grinder. The guy thought I was a grinder hand much to my shock. The killer for me was pulling the table and looking at the ways and not only were all the scrapings gone there was enough wear that it had a ridge where the ways didn't touch and long gall marks on the ways. And here the guy thought his dad didn't use it much. Maybe his dad didn't but the guy before him did or something.

The other on later introspection had never been used I think so nothing was adjusted. There was play in the table which the gibs weren't adjusted and it seemed everything I touched was not right. And I'd just come from the Chevalier so I was spooked. So I bailed. In retrospect I might have been able to talk him down and got a machine that would have been along the caliber of the rest of my modest equipment. Most of what I saw on this coast was very used and abused and way more than the guys on the east coast were picking up stuff for so I left it all on the back burner and figure if a deal pops up in my backyard it might be fate again telling me it's time.

Projectnut, I really like your shop and equipment..
Basement shop?

I would have to give my vote to the SG also . I have the Micromaster in the garage but haven't had the time yet to fire her up . I've gotten thru 42 years without the use of a shaper ( used them in high school )and can utilize the SG for sharpening when necessary . I regret selling my Sinadex years back along with a bunch of other SG tooling but it's all replaceable if ever needed again .

Back