[How-To] What to do when your lathe is to small.

Or find a friend with a larger lathe who will help you with your problem. It is quite helpful to have friends who will assist you, in person or long distance, and then always try to return the favor whenever possible. What goes around, comes around...

Especially on smaller stuff, there is always the possibility of finding a longer range helper (LIKE ON THIS FORUM!) to help with your shortcoming. Hobby machining is not often thought of as a social process, but there is plenty of room for all of us to improve our options while also making friends along the way...

Mount the part in a fixture on the tool post and put the tool in the spindle.......yes I have!
I have also used my Bridgeport to turn small parts holding them in a collet in the spindle, tool in vise

Unfortunately 11” diameter part will not fit on a 9” lathe, the method is quite sound. Use a right angle mounting plate on the carriage works for me.
Pierre

Then make a one time use spacer for under the head and tool post so you can swing the part and cut it.
Feed it by hand so your not worried about the feed gears. When you're done remove the spacer.

Back