What To Use For Cutting Lube?

I like to think I'm thrifty..{Cheap}...I make my own.
1 Quart ATF

1 Gallon Kerosene or Diesel.
Total cost under $8.00 US.
I use a old Tuna can and a acid brush to apply.
No rust problems but it does smoke and smell under heavy cuts so adequate ventilation is required.
******Just Saying************Gator******************

Still a n00b with lathe/milling. So my experience may not apply.

I've been cutting steel with a sawzall and drills for years. I use whatever motor oil is in the nearest oil can. Keeps blades and bits cool enough. Like mentioned above, it will smoke.

After pretty much ignoring everyone's advise to use WD40 for milling aluminum, I gave it a try a couple days ago and they were right. It is great.

I was hesitant to use it because the only WD40 I had was in aerosol cans, and didn't want it squirting all over everything on my mill and lathe. Out of desperation, I tried it the other day parting a 1.5" aluminum bar. Convinced of its worth, I started a quest to find it in a non-aerosol container. I didn't want to get a gallon, because I'd never be able to use even a fourth of it.

I found a non-aerosol 20 oz. spray pump can and purchased it. It still is a spray but not as aggressive. I decanted some of it in 2 oz. 20 ga. glue applicator and it is ideal, providing very controlled pin-point application, and it has a hypodermic needle cap. On further searching, I also found a 4 oz. applicator bottle. Perfect.

81SLP8pROdL._SL1500_.jpg 61xOBdJ1UIL._UL1500_.jpg

Where did you find the non-aerosol version???!?!?!

I've successfully used WD-40 in the past. But I stopped buying it when they changed to a permanently attached straw. The stuff goes everywhere EXCEPT where you point it!

I found it on Amazon, along with the 4 oz. bottle. I checked Auto Zone and they had it, too., for about $10

71rFVGdj2DL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks, there are several Auto Zone retail locations. I'll check 'em.

Jut for fun, I googled cutting fluids and found an old classroom instruction book that recommended lard mixtures.

I buy the WD40 in a gallon can, put some into a squeeze type bottle like Franko above yet without the needle and I also put some in a spray bottle that I really like for larger pieces of aluminum on either the lathe or mill. I just squeeze and mist a little on during the machining. It seems to work OK without getting everywhere I don't want it. For small turning or threading aluminum I use the A-9 in a Spillmaster container and apply with a small acid brush.

Mike.

I've been using Tap magic professional. Works well on everything with little to no nasty smell. Kind of pricey though.

Back