• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

What would you make with this 2 colored rod?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Plastiblocks

H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
Good afternoon,

We now perfected a technique of molding this 2 colored rod in machine grade ABS, so now that we have it, what would you make out of it?
We have a 3 question form on our site to gather your ideas, or just respond to this thread.

It should be a fun brain teaser!

2color-rod-with-dimentions-small.jpg
Thanks for participating!

Zathros

Registered
Registered
Weight per inch? What source materials were Used? Strengt?

Verzonden met Tapatalk Pro

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Can you make different sizes? (diameters)
Can you make different colours?

I have a friend making wooden pens from kits.
I have thought about trying aluminum, brass, copper or even stainless.
This material would look really neat if you used fairly deep ribbed cuts that exposed the colour changes and formed a grip near the tip.

-brino

PS: I'll have to go look up "Hampton"

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Chess pieces might look interesting with something like that.

Plastiblocks

Brino,

We can definitely do other colors, we are currently collecting a bit of statistics on our site. And based on the response we receive we will build other color combinations in mid August. So if you or your friend are interested, please answer just 3 questions on our site!

By the end of August we also should have amazing colors and patterns in CAB plastic specifically for pen makers market.
Thank you for your interest!

Plastiblocks

ttabbal,

Interestingly enough, making chess set was our first idea when we developed the process for this product!

Thank you for your feedback!

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Are both materials suitable for use in food and Pharma manufacturing, US FDA or EFSA?

Plastiblocks

Zathros,

Weight per inch? - The weight is approximately 0.033 lbs/inch

What source materials were Used?- It is ABS

Strength? - The strength is the same as normal ABS.

Regards,
Plasti-Block Team

Verzonden met Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Plastiblocks

P. Waller,

We can provide parts which are made of ABS grades approved for use in food contact application by US FDA. This is a special order with 150 lbs minimum.
We are not currently certified to provide products for medical use.

Regards,
Plasti-Block Team

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Have you considered making filament for 3D printing?

A two colour filament may produce some nice results in a 3D print. The typical diameter is only 1.75mm though so a lot smaller than your present products.

Hawkeye

Active User
Melting two-colour ABS and forcing it through a 0.4mm hole will just mix the colours into one new colour. There are multi-feed extruders that do that now.

Plastiblocks

Dave,

Thank you for your input, we are not set up to manufacture filament. We manufacture extruded sheets and some tubes, but we currently concentrate most of our efforts on injection molded process. All of our rods and blocks are injection molded .
We manufacture (injection mold, not extrude) and supply solid colored machine grade plastics in low stress blocks and rods which don't warp or twist when you machine them.
We believe that this is a very important niche that currently isn't addressed by large plastic rods and blocks suppliers.

Regards,
Plasti-Block Team
rods-blocks-s.jpg

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
Can you make different sizes? (diameters)
Can you make different colours?

I have a friend making wooden pens from kits.
I have thought about trying aluminum, brass, copper or even stainless.
This material would look really neat if you used fairly deep ribbed cuts that exposed the colour changes and formed a grip near the tip.

-brino

PS: I'll have to go look up "Hampton"
Brino, the cuts wouldn't necessarily need to be deep if you turned down the OD first.

RandyM

Staff member
I am a little surprised our resident top makers haven't chimed in. Maybe plastic is to light for them.

Do you make other sizes in multi-color? And is two colors the limit?

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Good call Randy, tops and gryoscopes could be an interesting niche for something like this. Yo-yos also come to mind, assuming you can get material large enough. I don't know if the weight is an issue though there are plenty of commercial toys made from ABS.

Plastiblocks

Randy,

We have developed new technology for making low cost mold tolling. As such, we are open to requests for other sizes and colors if we can figure out what people want and need. Do you have any particular sizes in mind? We will adding some 3 and 4 color parts in the coming months to enable amazing projects including pens, chess sets, and other great items.
We are currently collecting a feedback of combination of colors people might want. And actually based on your questions, we just modified the questioner on our site to add a question about dimensions that might be desired, we hope that people would be interested to participate.

Thank you for your questions!

RandyM

Staff member
PB, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Unfortunately I am just being inquisitive, and really do not have any project at this time to consider. This is one of those things I just tuck away for a later date.

Welcome to HM.

brino

Active User
I'd make fluted tool handles
okay, that gets me thinking of musical instruments. What about a recorder? or tuning peg handles for guitars?

@Plastiblocks, I see you're a site sponsor getting a little brainstorming/ market research in. Great! I hope you stick around the site for a while answering questions and filling needs. We have an amazingly creative membership here.
-brino

Frank Ford

Active User

Plastiblocks

Brino,

We are here because we are looking for feedback, input and potential customers. We truly believe that our products are unique and very price competitive. We are new to the market place in this industry, so we are still trying to figure out how to reach people, how to let them know that we exist and hopefully help them with whatever projects' needs they have when it comes to plastic (we are small company, so no much budget for Google ads LOL).
We also injection mold huge parts - solid rods up to 8" diameter! It is not for hobby market, but it is pretty impressive.
The company that developed equipment we are using was in R&D business for about 40 years, they understand the difference between extruded and injection molded parts, pros and cons of machining and fabricating different plastics, tensile strengths, UV stabilizers etc. We are working on a series of short educational pieces (articles and few videos) to hopefully be useful for people who use our products.
So, we are planning to stay for a while, hope to meet a lot of interesting people and exchange ideas.
If anyone is reading this post and is interested to give us ideas, advise, suggestion, you can always use our ONLNE form to contact us .

Thank you for support,
Plasti-Block Team

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Do the 2 materials have differing physical properties other than color? I could see a use for such a product in the labeling industry, a hard machinable core with a soft open cell outer surface, we make this sort of thing using a POM core which is then straight knurled and a foam tube is pressed over it, these press the label onto the product. We also make aluminum core rollers that have a urethane cover molded on to the OD, these are web drive components. Like so,
I have nothing to do with this Co. it is just the first that appeared in a Google search but are the same thing.
Making them from multiple parts then assembling afterwards is not the fastest way to go about it, the packaging and labeling industries use many thousands of them per year.

Plastiblocks

P Waller,

Thank you for your comments. We have the ability to molded/extrude multiple layers of materials with different chemistry, different physical properties and we can overmold metal cores easily and quickly. Our sister company will be offering equipment for sale and for lease to do this as a process for other starting in the fourth quarter of this year.

Plasti-Block Team

FOMOGO

Active User
Dash knobs for classic cars. Have a few missing from a 70 Galaxie I just bought. Of course you would have to make them all to match. Mike

[6]
[5] [7]