What's a SB 7" shaper worth?

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I watched this one go down at a local auction yesterday.
i guess it is worth what two, or in this case Three guys who MUST HAVE IT are willing pay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_025849_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_025849_Samsung Internet.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20240119_030423_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_030423_Samsung Internet.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 118
It’s been a few years since I saw those prices. But that was the best small shaper ever made according to some. $1700 was about the right price for a pristine one with a vise. Maybe this is the beginning of another cycle.

$1700 was about the right price for a pristine one with a vise.
Online auction, which means the bidders probably didn't even look at it in person, much less see it run. And typically around 18% buyers premium plus tax on top of that, so over $2000 out the door. (Buyers premium may not apply since it is a dealer auction rather than an auctioneer?)

That is about what I paid for mine, on the original cabinet, including shipping from Massachusetts to Georgia.

Too much? I think it probably is... but mine is in very good condition... and I *really* wanted it.

-Bear

For some reason the price of small shapers has gone nuts. About 10 years ago I was looking for a 7"AMMCO. There were several on Craigslist in the $300.00 range. They were listed for several months before someone finally purchased them. I knew there would be more available, and the prices would come down.

About that time the Badger Army Ammunition facility was being closed down and scheduled for demolition. A friend went to the equipment auction in hoped of finding a dividing head. The first lot up for sale was an AMMCO shaper. There were no bids, so it went back to be combined with other equipment for a second try. Late in the auction it came up again with a rotary table and dividing head. My friend bid on it and won the lot for $175.00.

He knew I was looking for a shaper, so he offered it to me for the price he paid for the lot. How could I refuse the machine delivered to the door and setup for that price. I didn't even have to drive 50 miles each way and stand all day in the rain at an auction.

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 66
I probably shouldn't say that I paid $100 for mine from the son of the guy that restored it. I bought the shaper and a surface grinder for $200, I think that he was glad to see his dad's machines go to a good home. The shaper is like brand new with cabinet and tooling! That was about 25 years age.

Richard

I have been seeing them go for a lot in the last few years. I think youtube has a lot to do with it. I personally think the big machines are great. I am not so sure about a small machine.. But if I could get a small one for real cheap, I would probably use it to cut keyways more than anything else. Do I need it? NO..

They come up on CL fairly regularly. Not uncommon to see them asking $2000-$2500. I don't get it, you can get a BP for that much.
I think it's sort of the same phenomenon that has driven up the price of big, old bench vises and anvils.

1705680519715.png

Back