What's it or how to use it

It goes onto a surface gage and you can attach indicators and such to it .
That's so cool...
It's the shaft out of this:

Seems to be the only Starrett patent that matches that date.
I'm going to have to see how many more parts of it I have.

I just wanted to make stuff - and now I'm getting addicted to old-tool-forensics : )

Ugh , why wouldn't you just put the piece in a vise ? No need for hold downs . :dunno:
No clue what the intent was in that pic - just happens to show someone using a couple of chunks of metal I'm trying to figure out.

I'll look for the rest of the bit's now, but I suspect it will just get re-purposed for something else.

Use it for what it's intended for . If you don't have the S/G , I do ! :big grin:

Ugh , why wouldn't you just put the piece in a vise ? No need for hold downs . :dunno:
Why? because it is not easy to seat work in a vise securely against the vise bottom or paralells. Once one has used hold downs, you won't do without them. I use them for milling and shaper work; as they told little Mikey, "try it, you'll like it" Obviously, they are not intended for surface grinder use, that is a different design of hold down, made for magnetic chuck use.

m getting addicted to old-tool-forensics : )
The only one I didn't know was the hold downs and talk about timely(once again!) I was needing something like those just the other day and didn't know they existed. Just went to eBay and bought a pair of Lufkin.

Good luck to dbb-the-bruce with the tool forensics. This site is incredibly helpful for this kind of info. I'm always on the lookout for machinist tools and often find old chests chock full of odds and ends. Most seem something they made for a job or for some process they did at the place they worked. No way of knowing without talking to the most times dead original owner.

Back