Whats The Best Way To Shorten Harden Bolts ?

I cut bolts all the time when building stuff. ( Seems I never have quite the right length on hand ) I put a nut on it and cut it to length with an angle grinder with cut off blade. Then I just belt sand a lead angle. Hit the end on the wire wheel to knock off any burrs. Run the nut off to make sure there is no hanging burr.

Seems to me that I would just chuck the bad end of the screw in a 3 jaw, cut a quality chamfer to the minor diameter then part it off. Lathe tool marks would make it look classy.

He is particular.
Thanks Ed
If this person requires a high level of length accuracy and finish quality build a fixture for the 3 jaw chuck that will hold them from the back like so.

shortenfastener_zpsc3sn8fcw.jpg
Use a piece of 1 to 1 1/2 " aluminum round, drill and tap the center, turn a shoulder on it to accrurately square it in the chuck and maintain your Z axis position when changing parts. Put it in a mill and slot through to the bore. Thread the screws in from the back at desired length then put the fixture in 3-jaw chuck (with the slot between any of the 3 jaws) and tighten and the slot will allow the thread to close on the work from the pressure of the chuck jaws.
Part off, face to length and chamfer.

Send neighbor a bill for $100.00 for your time and he likely will not bother you again.

You guys are great thanks for the help on a simple task.
After looking things over I spun the nut down and tightened it on the shoulder. That let me clamp on the nut without touching the head. I then parted off the excess . I was surprised it cut like a hot knife through butter the hardened material cut fine.
Running the angle cut on the back side of the bolt tightened it instead of turning it back in the chuck.
My neighbor was telling me he tried cutting them with a hacksaw but couldn't get them straight. He is building a blown alcohol drag car and didn't want so hacked bolts on it .
He is picky but has always made it right with me . Here's the finished product.

461d4b9d3064cea24ae0a0767db52c97.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back