What's This?

Ok,
What is a molding plane?

Daryl
MN

used with a special hand plane with a profiled cutter to make mouldings and the like

moulding_plane_stanley.jpg

Became obsolete with the shaper and died entirely with the router.
only used now by some serious hobbyists and pro's who have a name big enough to not care about the time spent to use one.

I've got a #55 really fun.
This little fence is 20.5" long.
Were they motorized?

Daryl
MN

Became obsolete with the shaper and died entirely with the router.

Absolutely not! :) I have 8 hand planes, all handed down from family and friends of the family who have passed. All in working condition, and I use most of them frequently. Thats like saying scraping died when surface grinder came about, and "Bridgeports" died from CNC's I guess sometimes doing things the "Old Fashioned Way" is a lot more fun :encourage:

Or sometimes it's a one off job & that is all we have on hand. Or there is no power in site.

Uglydog, turn it into a straight edge! And hang it up along with the other camelbacks you have!

I would bet its off an old power plane like the Stanley. They had really long bottoms like a jack plane about 16" or more. But it could be different kind of planes guide ,Sargent made planes ,miller falls . could even be a stop for a boring machine . the ones for building barns . It's a good whatsit fer sure.

Back