What's your secret ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to clean up quite a few indicator lens without destroying them . Any way to polish these up or is it a waste of time ? I know mineral spirits work great if sticky , but what about the plastic lenses ?

For plastic? I usually used watered down Farecla G3, followed by peek.

Never had an issue. Discovered the trick years ago, purely accidentally after getting Celly thinners on a compressor gauge with plastic lens. Soon came out clear again. Have since used it on a number of watch crystals (lenses) and indicator lenses.

Actually had to use 2K (2000 grit) wet n dry (wet) on a particularly scratched M&W indicator lens, not that you would be able to tell now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practice with a bit of silvo or brasso on some scrap plastic (or polycarbonate or acrylic) until you are comfortable with the process. I learnt this brasso/silvo trick through the hobby of model building over 30 years ago. I used it on a plastic horn button for the 1934 built, 1935 registered MG my late step-father and I restored.

Brasso/Silvo with a soft rag. I have used this.
Headlight Kit Never tried this one.
Cerium Powder I have used and also works on DVD disc.
I have wondered if glass top range cleaner will work, no idea
Pierre

I need to clean up quite a few indicator lens without destroying them . Any way to polish these up or is it a waste of time ? I know mineral spirits work great if sticky , but what about the plastic lenses ?
So I have Flitz... My son swears by Novus, as he was making and selling some Formula 1 acrylic etched / lit displays. I don't know if he still does, but he said it's amazing.

edit: BTW you can also try Colgate toothpaste (white) not the other stuff... it does clear up some lenses pretty well.

Meguiar's Plastx, if willing to do a little polishing.

In a hurry on my plastic welding helmet lenses, I find ( and know this sounds nuts but...) Dawn Platinum spray power wash makes them much clearer in a hurry. I just use it straight, and then buff it dry. If the lens gets wet days later the clarity goes back to how it was before. The spray also makes most stainless shine as a bonus.

I have some scratched lenses that I may try some Cerakote headlight lens restorer on. It is a pretty resilient 'real' ceramic clarity coating on the plastic lenses I tried it on, given several hours to set. Definitely need gloves to use it.

Last edited:
91% Rubbing Alcohol (2 or 3 bucks a bottle at Wally World) will strip almost anything off without harming plastics and metals. The only issue I have found is it will clean it sooooo well that you might want to oil any exposed metal surfaces.

91% Rubbing Alcohol (2 or 3 bucks a bottle at Wally World) will strip almost anything off without harming plastics and metals. The only issue I have found is it will clean it sooooo well that you might want to oil any exposed metal surfaces.
Nooooo. alcohol on acrylic or polycarbonate will destroy it.
I don't know what the lenses you have are. But those 2 plastics get destroyed by alcohol.

Nooooo. alcohol on acrylic or polycarbonate will destroy it.
I don't know what the lenses you have are. But those 2 plastics get destroyed by alcohol.
Never had an issue with is; but, now that you said it.......

Back