What’s your thoughts on this lathe?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
https://hibid.com/lot/169736477/logan-machinist-lathe

This little Logan is up for auction. Right now it’s low but I bet price will jump up a bit. It looks a bit rough and I’m not sure how the spindle gear got chewed up on the end. I’m guessing using pliers to lock the spindle for chuck removal? I don’t see any change gears which I feel like is a big deal.

I’ve basically talked myself out of it but am curious what your thoughts are.

The prices on that stuff seems ridiculously low. Is this a serious site? Have you bought anything there before?

Yes. That is hibid. It’s an auction site. The price will go up towards the end.

Well. If you can get the lathe for that much, then you could probably make enough to cover your efforts of picking it up and hauling to the scrapper. Consider any use that can be gotten out of it a bonus.

It probably won’t be that low. The site works like ebay on the big items. It doesn’t go up much until the last hour or so when people really start bidding. I don’t know what it will go for. Also it doesnt look like it weighs much so I would imagine scrap value is low.

You can’t get it for that much. I’m bidding. Lol
But a very nice looking Southbend 10 sold for $675 yesterday.

From the pictures: It just needs an evening with a gallon of degreaser and a gallon of evaporust. Some PO beat it up a little bit, but that is always the case. No handle appear to be broken, so it hasn't been dropped, apparently.
Looks like it would be a good buy to me.

Last edited:
I think it’s worth about $250 to me. I don’t like that it’s got a small spindle through hole, no qcgb, and evidently only one chuck. But I like that it’s very small, and there’s still parts support. I imagine it’ll sell around the $400 mark. But auctions are unpredictable.
You might be able to get more pictures of it by contacting the auctioneer. I didn’t examine it closely, because I regard it only as a winter project. Meaning I guess, that I expect things to be broken. But I believe there are enough good parts in it to recoup the loss if it turns out totally junk.
Anyways, you know my bid. Lol.

I'm not at all an expert on the matter, but some of those small Logans had bushings rather than bearings for the spindle, and may have substantial runout today. Probably rehab-able, but something to look into if you're not trying to buy a project.

GsT

Back