What’s your thoughts on this lathe?

In my opinion, if it doesn't have a QCGB it's not a candidate. If that one doesn't have a stack of change gears that we can't see, it's a definite NO.

I think the Logan 9" lathes are under appreciated. Those Logan 9x17s don't take up much more space than an Atlas /Craftsman 6x18 but are heavier and more capable. They can be found with a QCGB, so even without one can be added if you can find one. The 10 and 11" Logans use the same gear box, but not sure if the 9" used the same or had their own unique gear box. Scott Logan is active on the has FB and IO groups Logan groups, and you can still get many parts.

I don't have a "need" but if I find a 9x17" South Bend or Logan with a QCGB at a reasonable price it will come home with me.

Edit to add I half agree with Mr Whoopee here. I would say QCGB is highly desirable, but not a deal breaker. However no change gears on a change gear lathe, you need to make sure to factor that into what you pay because acquiring a complete set can add hundreds of dollars to your final cost.

Last edited:
That's in Illinois, I thought around that area you can just walk down a couple alleys until you find something similar waiting for heavy trash day.

I'm in TX and lathes don't grow on the trees we have in my area so I would give as much as $400-$500 for it and given the lack of QCGB or change gears my plan would be to install electronic lead screw on it.

You gotta be a couple hours from Chicago to have that kind of luck. The bottom half doesn’t have nearly the selection. And we use things until they’re used up too. Lol

AFAIK all Logans have ball or roller bearings spindles- if there are any models that have bushings that would be news to me
Also, Logans are heavier than they look- you would find out if you tried to move one- plenty beefy

Last edited:
Well she already passed my max bid. Lol
I hope somebody here wins it so they can tell us all about it!
Good luck !

Back