When did metric take over?

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
When did metric take over for cars, tractors, farm equipment?

I've built my bolt selection mostly based on what I could buy cheap for farm repair type work. I have bought a substantial amount of metric but definitely heavy on SAE.

How is the split between sae and Metric on farm equipment? I see mostly metric in my line of work with industrial equipment. Almost all car stuff is metric.

The reason I'm asking is I'm buying some Ez-lok threaded insert kits and I'm leaning toward prioritizing metric. The kits aren't cheap and I don't have jobs paying for them yet. I just want them on the shelf before I need them. I can buy an assortment each pay until I'm covered.

The US made a metric push in 1976 under Jimmy Carter, but the Reagan administration backed it off around 1982.

US cars I would say by mid 90s metric dominated. 80s you find some mix of metric and standard often on the same car. Import cars metric goes way back, my 1969 Toyota Landcruiser is metric.

My understanding is this was mostly tied to the vehicle platform. The automakers were not going to redesign existing platforms over fastener types, so long lived one's stayed standard longer, but major redesigns on the platform were often metric leading to the annoying mix of metric and standard. similarly long lived engines might find standard fittings on the engine with metric on the body / chassis.

The aero designs of the late 80s and early 90s seem to be the hard transion, Ford Tempo, and Taurus, Chevy Lumina, and Beretta, the Chrysler K cars and minivan etc. All of the big 3 were using rebadged imports in the 80s which were also metric. Then you have the occasional Euro divisions sold in the US with cars like the Mercury Capri (a German Ford design).

I'm not familiar with tractors but would guess a similar time frame. I have heard that because the US is such a large market for Ag equipment that many imports targeting the US market built to the US customary system instead of metric.

I would think by now you are unlikely to find standard on anything other than rather vintage equipment (30+ years).

Last edited:
I had a friend who worked his way through college by repairing motorcycles for a dealership. Triumphs and
BSA's. This was around 1970. He said that all the bikes were a mixture of fastener sizes. On just one bike he might use USA fractional, Whitworth/British Standard, and metric wrenches.

The US officially went metric in the late mid 1800s, and then about a hundred years later we officially adopted SI, which is essentially worldwide standardized metric. We're just using inches because too stubborn to realize that the other system is outdated, antiquated, and inefficient. We know better, but people don't wanna and you know...... How long ago did leadscrew handles go from having fractional inch divisions to just straight up base ten graduations?

Imagine your (milling machine, lathe, etc) having dials graduated at 128 of an inch, plus a vernier. And imagine what an improvement in somebody's life it was when they started seeing dials in 0.001 graduations. That's what the metric system does for every field of measure. It just makes life better. But you've got to think about it for a little bit to get used to it. So Americans (not America) refuse to go with it.

What I see in "metric takeover" is more like US manufacturers working it into the system. You started seeing things like cars with all inch standard designs, but a metric transmission. Or a major update (or flat out new) engine, it became a metric engine. Or a redesign of the front grille, and the fender "notches" for the corner lights had to change, so new tooling. Fasteners changed to metric. So it wasn't so much a date, as when it was convenient to stick it in there, because the tooling was being redone anyhow.

For equipment, it's the same thing, but it's a different world. Engines are legos, for sale anywhere to put in anything. And transmissions, and pumps, final drives, etc... They've been doing that for so long that the vast majority essentially had to be metric, so that they could be viably sold to the 15/16 of the world that doesn't use inch standards. I do find that in transitional years you are more likely to find a machine "almost all" inch, or "almost all" metric, but brands and models... There wasn't a concise time frame really. It was more about the global market for them, which came much later in the car world.

As far as a thread repair collection- What are you doing with it? Preemptive purchase, or are you fixing something in particular? Personally, I think it's money, time, and shop space ahead to order the ones you actually use, instead of trying to prep for everything that's possible. So the answer isn't where the world is going, it's "What's coming through your shop?" I'd probably, if it were me, grab a modest kit that puts your most used size right about in the middle, and grow from there. Very shortly going from "kits" to "bins", or your own larger compartment box to make your own kit, with the sizes you'll use. There's just WAY too many sizes, let alone places where one or the other insert isn't appropriate, to be "ready for everything". The "biased to inch" or "biased to metric" answer will sort it's self out in a way that fits what you do.

The US left metric conversion to what is practical, rather than a forced transition as in Australia and India. For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, most everything that actually matters has mostly converted to metric. The holdouts are either strong personal preference, or awkward to convert.

Honestly where do you find heavy commercial use of US Customary measurement outside of building construction and land survey? Companies are welcome to sell metric bathroom scales, and meter sticks but they don't sell well in the US when people are provided with options.

Most products sold in the US are dual marked and often actually metric in size / wt. Even the US Customary system is defined by the metric system.

Despite the propaganda the US is far from the only country still accepting older systems of measurement, the UK uses a similar mix with highways marked in miles, and beer sold by pints. Canada still has some hold out industries and even France who invented the Metric system keeps a few non-metric standards around.

The US officially went metric in the late mid 1800s, and then about a hundred years later we officially adopted SI, which is essentially worldwide standardized metric. We're just using inches because too stubborn to realize that the other system is outdated, antiquated, and inefficient. We know better, but people don't wanna and you know...... How long ago did leadscrew handles go from having fractional inch divisions to just straight up base ten graduations?

Imagine your (milling machine, lathe, etc) having dials graduated at 128 of an inch, plus a vernier. And imagine what an improvement in somebody's life it was when they started seeing dials in 0.001 graduations. That's what the metric system does for every field of measure. It just makes life better. But you've got to think about it for a little bit to get used to it. So Americans (not America) refuse to go with it.

What I see in "metric takeover" is more like US manufacturers working it into the system. You started seeing things like cars with all inch standard designs, but a metric transmission. Or a major update (or flat out new) engine, it became a metric engine. Or a redesign of the front grille, and the fender "notches" for the corner lights had to change, so new tooling. Fasteners changed to metric. So it wasn't so much a date, as when it was convenient to stick it in there, because the tooling was being redone anyhow.

For equipment, it's the same thing, but it's a different world. Engines are legos, for sale anywhere to put in anything. And transmissions, and pumps, final drives, etc... They've been doing that for so long that the vast majority essentially had to be metric, so that they could be viably sold to the 15/16 of the world that doesn't use inch standards. I do find that in transitional years you are more likely to find a machine "almost all" inch, or "almost all" metric, but brands and models... There wasn't a concise time frame really. It was more about the global market for them, which came much later in the car world.

As far as a thread repair collection- What are you doing with it? Preemptive purchase, or are you fixing something in particular? Personally, I think it's money, time, and shop space ahead to order the ones you actually use, instead of trying to prep for everything that's possible. So the answer isn't where the world is going, it's "What's coming through your shop?" I'd probably, if it were me, grab a modest kit that puts your most used size right about in the middle, and grow from there. Very shortly going from "kits" to "bins", or your own larger compartment box to make your own kit, with the sizes you'll use. There's just WAY too many sizes, let alone places where one or the other insert isn't appropriate, to be "ready for everything". The "biased to inch" or "biased to metric" answer will sort it's self out in a way that fits what you do.

Most of what walks through my door is an Amish farmer or Yankee farmer who needs his machine to work to finish chores. Lol! I really never know.

I spent about $140 on two assortments of ez-lok thread inserts. I'll spend just about $160 more to have a really good selection. I already have the taps and drills to utilize them.

That's only $300 and I just might be able to send that farmer home with a properly repaired part. I have vastly more money in the drill bits and taps. Nevermind my bolt selection. I have to say that I'd happily spend that money for the peace of mind that I have it.

All that knowing that these thread inserts are not perfect. I still might have to buy a helicoil when the hole is too tight to the edge of a casting.

Someday soon you might go to order just what you need, just in time, and find yourself waiting a long time. It's happening to my sister's farm right now.

I got sent to the grocery store on an emergency mission to get water fresh Mozzarella cheese balls. There were two sizes of balls in little plastic tubs, same manufacturer, with the sizes named in Italian, which I could not understand, and to add stress, one tub was $8 and the other was $5. So, read the label. One said 2.5 grams, the other said 1/3 ounce. Quick, which is bigger? I still don’t know, I bought the $5 tub.

Back