When did metric take over?

And your Canadian beer is sold in milliliters . Not sure how many ozs that equates to , but damn , it still tastes good ! :grin: :beer:

Pirates of the caribbean? Johnny Depp on the metric system?
:)

I'm pretty well stuck on the U.S. system and will be happy to stay there. Like Winegrower I don't do conversions. in his example i would have picked up one of each. Whichever weighed different would tell me which to buy. My wife would have told me I was wrong anyway....
Do you have a smartphone? If so, numerous conversion apps will accomplish that task in seconds. If not, having some basic knowledge is helpful, like 25.5 25.4mm is an inch, etc. Just like learning a new language, once one stops "converting" and just understands the system is when life gets easier. But as you said, you are stuck in the old system, which is fine.

Last edited:
When did metric take over for cars, tractors, farm equipment?

I've built my bolt selection mostly based on what I could buy cheap for farm repair type work. I have bought a substantial amount of metric but definitely heavy on SAE.

How is the split between sae and Metric on farm equipment? I see mostly metric in my line of work with industrial equipment. Almost all car stuff is metric.

The reason I'm asking is I'm buying some Ez-lok threaded insert kits and I'm leaning toward prioritizing metric. The kits aren't cheap and I don't have jobs paying for them yet. I just want them on the shelf before I need them. I can buy an assortment each pay until I'm covered.
John Deere tractor models released in the late 80’s and early to mid 90’s went metric. CaseIH introduced the Magnum line in ‘88 and it was metric.

A few items designed decades ago (such as some parts ofcotton picker units) are not metric but the sizes are listed in metric but use metric fasteners. And, as items are re-designed they are done so in true metric units of measure.

Currently, short line US manufacturers are mostly “American” sizes.

Do you have a smartphone? If so, numerous conversion apps will accomplish that task in seconds. If not, having some basic knowledge is helpful, like 25.5mm is an inch, etc. Just like learning a new language, once one stops "converting" and just understands the system is when life gets easier. But as you said, you are stuck in the old system, which is fine.
Might want to change that conversion factor. It's 25.4 mm to the inch.

Back